Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you buy this thing??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kezekiel, Sep 24, 2000.

1. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Folks:

I'm in the market for a new bass, and I swung by a neighborhood pawn shop. They had a (very) used Fender JP-90 with no price tag. The previous owner had yanked the frets from the rosewood fretboard and had sanded the front and the back of the body, leaving some paint on the inside surface of the cutaways. The thing is kind of a mess... the volume dial turns and turns without stopping, the J pickup hums a lot, the neck's finish is very worn in places, and it looks likes it's been mistreated. Also, the neck bolt plate doesn't say "Fender" on it - it's just a blank metal plate. Finally, the bridge looks totally econo. Added up, these make me wonder if some guy just bolted a Fender neck from a dead instrument onto a knockoff body. I had a friend that was a victim of this before.

I might just offer a couple of hundred bucks and walk with it, but not if it's a fake. Any way to tell for sure?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Would I buy it.....No.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I wouldnt, unless it was very very cheap($5)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Would you even consider buying it if it didn't say 'Fender' on the headstock?
    No further questions, your honor...

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Just say no.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just adding to the thumbs down row. But no. Save your money for a beat up Fender worth buying.

Will C.:cool:

7. Boo!! Hiss!! Get rid of the bum! Don't pay anything over $75 for it. Probably not that much, either. It ain't worth the wood it's made of.

Rock on
    Eric

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IF you pay more than 50 cents, it ain't worth it.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, why be different? :D

seriously, save your pennies.

10. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    No. (Plus, I just wanted to do a "thumbs down" symbol!)

Craig

11. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Offer them $10.
    Then when the dude says " Buger off you stupid kid!!!"
    you up it to $15. If he wont take $15 give him the finger.

....Couple of hundred buckes hu???
    I got a coulpe basses way better than that that I'd sell for a couple hundred bucks.

12. If you know how to work on guitars it could be a fun project to fix it but I wouldn't pay more than fifty bucks for it. One of my previous guitar players found a totally hacked up 70's stratocaster for fifty bucks. His Dad (an autobody guy) helped him paint it and then he put new pickups in it, and had a local guitar tech guy refret it; he ended up with a guitar that sounded like 2000 dollars and only paid 250 total for it. (He also got a custom sparkle paint job.) He did have to a lot of hard work, though.