Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you buy this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Mar 7, 2002.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...I'd play it. If it were a gift, I'd think nothing of it. Plunking down my own money...well, I'd drop in wood filler and paint it all a solid color. Actually, I think it's kinda cool!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's up to $610 with two zero feedback bidders.

Hey, it could happen ;)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some folks have no shame.

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Sign me up for one:D

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    what a hoax. This guy is lying through his teeth.
    This guitar is not handmade. Hand-assembled, but not handmade. the kit/case, couldn't have cost more than 400 bucks.

Oh, well I guess maybe some people (peavey fans) will pay 210 xtra bucks to add a lizard, and take the "Carvin" name off the headstock. :D

seriouly though, I concur with John Turner

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What does that mean?

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I herd det! A $400 kit for $600?!?! :confused: For the same money you could get a 5-string built by the factory with warranty, with 5 controls, and a coil splitter switch, in a choice of colors. I mean, natural alder" doesn't exactly make your eyes spin.

"...the alder body still smell of fresh wood," This isn't exactly a good thing if the seller means like "not dried."

That thing is "hand made" just like Top Ramen is a home-cooked meal. Well, at least the lizard is, (if anyone wants to take responsibility for it).

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is what I am getting at--a $400 kit bass currently going for over $600. Being marketed as handcrafted. But apparently a couple people are buying into it.....................................Sheesh.:rolleyes: Should tell the bidders to go to Carvin's website and show them that they can handcraft their own exquisite bass for a lot less money.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What on earth does that bass have to do with peavey?

That aside, I wouldn't buy it. The lizard is really ugly. The wood is really ugly. Bolting a neck onto a bass is no where near hand assembled.

11. I checked the link this morning, and the auction has been stopped.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Some of the Carvin BBS guys gave the seller the ol' workover, I do believe...it was quite the hot topic over there! It looks like the text quoted from the auction was edited from the original one he had, he must have read the comments on the Carvin board...

What's a 'guitar expert' anyway, and why is he building kit basses?

13. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    He was trying to make a easy dollar...fool.

You know, i was thinking for my next bass...was to build one out of a kit.
    Would it be wise to buy a carvin kit...with specs like:
    5 string
    unlined fretless
    black hardware

That and staining it a dark color...dont know what and then putting a clear coat on it.
    What would be the best way to do this?

Ive had some experience in taking apart and putting together guitars. I took apart my friends Telecaster, stripped the paint off and painted it zebraprint. Did the intonation and lowerd the action. Nothing real drastic.
    Good idea?

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  15. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Well, i know i cant afford a warmoth. At least when i checked last. Im checking out the allparts site now. Plus, i dont think warmoth carries whole kits. Do they? Ill probably start my new bass at least 6 months from now.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    NO. :D

17. To answer your queston in two words....
    ¬°HELL NO!