Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would you call this "mashed potatoes"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Sep 28, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I was looking at some polk audio speakers, because my dad owns a great pair, which are powered through a marantz model 2325(guess who's inheriting all that sexy equipment), and since I'm a little low on money, I was wondering if I could just buy a pair of R30 floorstanding models, and just add drivers as I get money, or would it just sound like mud?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, what are powering it with? A circa 1980 ghetto blaster? A computer sound card? A hand-cranked radio/flashlight? Or are you meaning to say that you've already inherited the Marantz?

brad cook

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    ANd what's with the potatoes reference?

brad cook

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i too found this thread title to be deceptive.

5. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    you guys have never heard the term "mashed potatoes"? or scrambled eggs? it means it sounds like mud. and ill be power the R30's from a TEAC AG-1000, and no I haven't inherited the marantz yet

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, I've heard these terms and in addition I've enjoyed them both at meals many times but never together.

brad cook

7. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    so would it?

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    You won't get straight answers out of these guys I'm afraid, they're professionals when it comes to being facetious.

I can't see how it would sound like mud - I've never heard those speakers myself but they seem like they'd give a decent all-round sound with the potential to add more components later! Why don't you find a similar amp to yours in the shop and try that, or even just take your one in and try it with the speakers?

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow I didn't know it was going to be that kind of party. :)