Would you change out the pickguard on this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Original white pearloid

66 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Gloss black

24 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. Matte black

28 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Wood burl #1

11 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Wood burl #2

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Black pearl

40 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I bought this bass and the body color in the pictures was this:
    13602926.jpg

But it's actually more like this:
    img_20210608_201428-jpg.jpg
    cashew-cream-jpg.jpg

My picture makes it look like a white white, but the color is very close to the goop in the bowl.

If this were your bass would you keep the pearloid pickguard? Change it out for something else?

I had thought about going with a tort, but I'm having a hard time stomaching spending upwards of $100 for vanity. My thought is to cover the current pickguard with a colored vinyl.

I have both of these vinyls coming from Amazon today, but there are other options.
    71xvpgbo0cl-_sl1500_-jpg.jpg
    717issnep2l-_sl1500_-jpg.jpg

I also found a site that sells adhesive vinyl drum wraps that can be used to cover pickguards as well. I had thought about something like these:

Wood burl #1
    20161011_133122-730x730-jpg.jpg

Wood burl #2
    20150608_155959-536x536-jpg.jpg

Black pearl
    20170610_100108-jpg.jpg

JimmyM and Immigrant like this.
  2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I voted black pearl but honestly I think it looks great as is. What kind of bass is it?

3. Out of the choices you listed I'd pick the black pearl.

$100 for vanity is a small price to pay. I think you can get a pretty wide variety of colors/designs from this place if you're interested. Home | Pickguard Planet

I looked at some pretty wild stuff from them but went with plain white and let my son paint it instead. Just a thought if you hadn't looked at their stuff.

Artorious Rex and nixdad like this.
  4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's one of these: Enhanced MP-4EB Creme - Harley Benton

The preamp is crap and I'm replacing the bridge MM, but everything else is great! $412 shipped to my door from Germany in four days. I'll be wiring everything up passive with coil splitting options for both pickups.

13602901.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Meaculpa, wmmj, Bret Music and 5 others like this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I also think it looks good ad is, but I like all of your suggestions, including tort, as well.

BassAndCigars likes this.
  6. If YOU would be perfectly happy with this pickguard, very likely you wouldn't ask others whether to keep it or not. Right?

Since you've asked: I PERSONALLY wouldn't mind spending a bit more time with this combination (pearloid on white). If it wouldn't gel with me, I THINK I'd go for something rather 'plain' (monocolor).

Maxdusty likes this.
  7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The pearloid pickguard does match the pearloid inlays.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    True, let it simmer and see how I feel about it later.

9. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    IMG_2788.jpeg

I am biased, but I liked black pearl on olympic or off white enough to custom order for mine. :)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just get a can of black Rust-Oleum and do what I did to this white pickguard:

BB235 Copper PG.jpg

Meaculpa, BEADG63, Timmy Liam and 7 others like this.
  11. Looks great now.:thumbsup: I wouldn't spend the money to change it.

Ostie and Rabidhamster like this.
  12. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    Do as you wish ......don't think about our feelings . But if you really care , let's do a red tort or just leave it alone as God designed it .

13. I have certainly spent >$100 on vanity.
    But if I were spending 100 on that bass(looks great as it is) it would probably be put towards more functional items.
    Pickups, preamp or tuners..

ryan pate likes this.
  14. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I'd prefer a parchment or mint though I'm sure a tort would also look nice. Then again, da hell do I know?:)

Smith357 likes this.
  15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, that's definitely part of the calculation. I'm now good on pickups (I just haven't installed the replacement bridge pup), the tuners are actually just fine, but I do need the parts to convert it to passive.

DrMole and ryan pate like this.
  16. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Probably wouldn't change it but if I did I would do Tort.

Meaculpa and BassAndCigars like this.
  17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Another part of the calculation here is that I can't just slap a ready made pickguard on there. This is larger than any stock and the the P pups are reversed, so I would need a custom one made if it's going to be a complete replacement.

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Mint might look kinda vintage vibey.

Koog

WaveyDavey likes this.
  19. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    It’s funny that the color is like that. That snowy white stingray is exactly the same issue. In the pics it looks all snowy night. Pretty white and picturesque

but in person it’s more like gloomy day. It reminded me of the morning after a snowfall and the salt and plows came by. Gross

20. I know you're toying with the idea of a sort of 'overlay' (like: adding a layer of vinyl or something like that over the current pickguard). What about painting the pickguard, or like @JimmyM seemingly has done, subjecting it to some kind of chemical torture?

This has probably been done before...

(Again: In this case, I'd probably leave it as it is and see whether I could bond with it for a while.)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021