1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you "chip" your children, if you could?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yesterday a situation arose where my wife noted that our daughter could easily get lost and said she wished our daughter was "chipped" so we could find her if she went missing. It really got me thinking about whether or not I'd do it.

Assume that there would be no medical or financial issues associated with doing this, sticking to moral reasoning only. The only people with access to locating your child would be you and the government - police, medical personnel etc...

One side of me says, "Why not?" - If she has nothing to hide, what's the big deal? On the other hand, do I really want the government able to locate her for both saving her and perhaps something else? And, do we really want that power?

Would you do it?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    It's not for me. I figure a cell phone with only the parents' numbers in it (as well as 911) would be enough for any child under 12 or so.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    People aren't property. Cars may need a lojack, people shouldn't.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My kids are already too smart. I'm afraid they would reprogram the chip in some diabolical way.

5. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    So long as a kid has a parent's business card on them, they're fine. Some kids have constant adult supervision, anyway, in which case it's a moot point. Chipping your kid would be crazy.

6. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    You, Sir are bringing the funny. :D

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd prefer that only the family has access. I would be more concerned with all those others organizations having access.

-Mike

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds about right...but if you child was kidnapped maybe you would want them chipped then?

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If my child were kidnapped I'd want them to shoot laser beams from their eyes that would incapacitate any would be perpetrators.

I think it would be equally effective.

Realistically, what are you worried about happening to your children that you believe dehumanizing them with a chip would solve?

10. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One big issue for me is the fact that the data would not be secure. If we're talking about some sort of RFID, then it will be possible to track them wherever they go. Future employers could make assumptions about them based on where they hang out. Stalkers could exploit the data. And so forth.

11. I'm strongly opposed to the notion of being able to be tracked. I'm fine with things like identification tags, or carrying GPS-equipped cell phones, but RFID chips are a different story. No child of mine would have one unless he/she requested it.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    This isn't a debate about whether kids "should" need this. If you read the paper, you know abductions happen far too often and I have read of several in your part of the country, mostly Riverside.

No, kids shouldn't need to be chipped, but the way people have been out-doing each other with stupid and heinous acts, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. If someone is beaten, they may not know where they live, who they are, etc. Some people can't seem to take care of themselves or do the right thing. I'm watching local news coverage of the Oak Creek, WI shootings- just more proof that some people are scum.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The only way RFID would be tracked "wherever they go" is if there was a system in place to track people on a constant basis. This isn't the case and at this point, the only way to track a chip is if A) it's active RFID, B) close enough for the interigator to activate the chip (they don't have their own power supply) or C) move the interrigator closer to the chip, based on best guess or knowledge of the chip's position. It's not like a honing device that has a wide range and reports to a police station or hte cell phone system.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Would you like to be chipped?

15. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA

If alarmist news media is causing you to feel unsafe, turn it off. You'll be better off than chipping your kids.

Legitimately, what's the chip going to do? If your kid is going to get kidnapped, it's going to be by a trusted person, likely a family member (custody issues tend to be high ranking) who will probably know about the chip and how to counter it (nothing's infallible). If you're concerned about your kids, choose your spouse carefully.

"According to National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, just 115 children are the victims of what most people think of as "stereotypical" kidnapping, which the center characterizes thusly: "These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently."

Of these 115 incidents, 57 percent ended with the return of the child. The other 43 percent had a less happy outcome."

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/2007/01/raw-data-kidnapping-statistics.html

115 kids is a lot, but out of a population of 300 million in the US, it's pretty good odds yours won't be on that list, and injecting tracking data into millions of kids to hopefully prevent them from being among 115 seems like an overkill "solution" to a problem.

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I understand how RFID works. Wal-Mart has been talking about putting an RFID chip in every item that they sell. Having this technology become ubiquitous is not far-fetched.

17. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008

^^This.

And, No. I would never do that to my kid or myself.

18. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    No way would I ever have one of my kids chipped.

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Alarmist media? It happened twice the last time I was in CA, in December of '04. Remember the little Mexican girl? A Mexican boy was found at, or near, Elsinore. They found the bodies- it's not something I made up or heard on Art Bell. I have relatives out there, so I hear a lot from them.

True- if someone wants to kidnap someone, a chip won't usually deter them.

Personally, I wouldn't mind putting a chip in dangerous criminals, especially sex offenders. The incidence of them not reporting is pretty high and the recidivism rate is ridiculously high. I'm not talking about the 18 year olds with 17 year old BF or GF, either.

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I would never want to make my child vulnerable to be 'tracked'. If we ever go hiking or somewhere he might get lost I'd invest in some kind of gps technology.