1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you consider this a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by derrick007, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Go for it

37 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. It won't work

11 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. You should be ashamed of yourself.

52 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    I got this idea for my next bass when i found out that the fender bass VI is basicly a baritone jaguar. What if i was to get a warmoth soloist guitar body and put one of there 28 5/8" jackson baritone reverse headstock necks on it, then put some thick ass strings on it and tune it to whatever 6 string basses are tuned to. Thats just a short scale 6 string that will REALLY take some getting used to, right? It opens up so many options, i could get a floyd rose and a seymour duncan invader pup! What do you guys think.

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Yeah...no.

Sounds like a downtuned guitar to me. :rolleyes:

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    that's definitely an interesting idea. six string basses are normally tuned to BEADGC.
    i just think there's no way you'd be able to put a floyd rose on it. the strings wouldn't fit in the saddles, even if they did, i think you'd have trouble with the whole no=nut thing. also the more tension there is on it the more springs need to be loaded in the back, but i think there's only so many you can fit. I guess you'd need a custom floyd?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why?

5. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

And call it a "Liger"

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    lol

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    A bassVI is tuned EADGbe, just like a bass with two extra high strings, it's been that way since the 50's. You are talking about a modern six string contrabass guitar.

No a Floyd will work fine. You might need to have the spring cavity made a bit longer, maybe. And use all five springs. But it should work.

I have a odd project bass that is a Jackson stealth guitar body with a floyd and a fretless hohner neck set up as a fretless bass VI with wamy, I think the scale is about 32"ish, works fine.

8. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    what?

bertter post pics, that description is too painful to read

kinda like playboy and National Geographic, pics work better!

al

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Here you Go :)

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Thinking about it a little more, I remember a time where I would have thought that this would be the shizz. So I guess my advice would be if you have the money and the desire to do it, go for it, but don't count on it being something you'll still like in a couple months/years.

Edit: Why are you so keen on a Floyd and Invader? They might be cool on guitar, but that doesn't mean that they're going to be so cool on bass. There are bass-specific trems, you know. Check out Kahler for a good one. As for a pickup, try some basses and see which ones you like. A good guitar pickup does not necessarily make a good bass pickup.

11. I don't think a Floyd Rose could accept a string thick enough to be tuned to low B at that scale length.

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I highly doubt you'll be able to get decent string tension on the B.

13. yikes

14. RobBass33

RobBass33

Apr 16, 2008

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Oh, I would like to point out that that instrument I posted is made from spare parts I had laying around and total cost into the thing is under $50.00.

16. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    I recently modded a squier '51 guitar to a bass VI, or I should say bass VI type of instrument. Moved the bridge back, modded a 30" scale bass neck to accept guitar tuners. String gauges run from 90-23 tuned EADGBE. I'm having fun with it, so I say go for it.

17. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Okay that was a little weird the way i said it, let me clear some things up.

The floyd rose was just a thought, i would probably go fixed.

the invader pickup was just a joke, i would use pup made for a baritone guitar.

I'm pretty sure decent string tension on the B would be imposible and would def. keep it tunned eadgbe.

and as for why, why not? why anything, i think it would be fun, very unique, and fit my style very well. a good 50% of what i do is learn to play the lead guitar lines of songs on a bass. i don't know why i do that, i just do, i think it's fun, so this project would fit perfectly. another note, and yes i'm aware that a lot of you consider this mentality blasphemy, but i have always put the uniqueness of the instrument in front of the playability, quality, or even sound of said instrument. It's just a cool little thing that no one else will have.

Also, how bad would it screw up the tunning if i was to move the bridge back to make it a 30"? you can only do that on a frettless as far as i know, am i right?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I've always got 3 more beautiful 34" 4 string basses that will never let me down to fall back on :)

18. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You'll learn HEAPS in the process and might possibly turn the naysayers to look in their mirror.

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    A bass with two extra (high) strings would be EADGCF - basses are tuned in 4ths. A Bass VI is not tuned like a 6-string bass, regardless of whether you tune the lowest string to B or E; a Bass VI is tuned like a guitar, but an octave down, a.k.a. a contrabass guitar tuning. This tuning has been around in classical guitar circles for over 100 years.

Here's some more info:

http://www.hago.org.uk/guitars/niibori/

[​IMG]

A baritone guitar is tuned with an A as the lowest string (5th below standard guitar tuning). No modification is necessary to turn a standard electric guitar into a baritone guitar except replacing the neck... WD actually sells baritone necks that you can simply swap out for ~25" scale necks, with about a 27.5" scale length, approaching short-scale bass territory:

http://www.wdmusic.com/baritone_guitar_necks_13486_ctg.htm

30" is within normal-scale bass territory, if on the short side, and the scale length used for most contrabass classical guitars (a full octave below a regular guitar).

A Bass VI is not a baritone Jaguar; it is a short-scale bass (30") tuned contrabass (EADGBE, one octave below guitar), thus the name Bass VI. A baritone would be a 5th down (usually A-D-G-C-Fb(E)-A, if you prefer a "guitar" tuning, or A-D-G-C-F-Bb if you prefer a six-string bass [in 4ths] tuning).

20. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Won't the string spacing be way too close for a bass? Not to mention the small frets feeling really strange..:meh: