1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you consider this "The Who"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a song that Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend recorded about 10 years ago called "Real Good Looking Boy". Do you consider it The Who despite missing 2 original members? To me it doesn't matter much what they are called as it is a great song.

The song

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Yes, I consider them the Who. I loved Entwhistle, but they had to move on. I saw them with Pino and Zac, and they killed.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Would you consider this "The Who"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep

4. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    This is also the who ...

and this is a damn good version of the Who!!!

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'm a huge Who fan as well as a big Moon and Entwistle fan. All that being said, in my mind, as long as Townshend includes one other member it's the who. Pretty much Townshend is The Who when it comes to song structure and most lyrics.

6. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    Well John Fogerty songs are not CCR. But Townshed owns the name so he can call it what he wants.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    No way man, Pino is playing a jaguar bass? Jeez those guys rock harder than 99% of the bands today. They may not be as "hard" in style but they've got everything else for pure 100% rock and roll.

8. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    The Who ended when Moon died IMO. Since then it's been "some members of the Who with additional musicians" calling themselves The Who.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Anyone else digging this tune?

10. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    There's a The Who documentary that used to be on Netflix in two parts, and the second part had a section on the making of this song; Pete Townshend comes off as the biggest ass in the world during that part. He's yelling at the producer, "Why the **** are the drums taking up five tracks? Make it three, and we'll use the other two for something else!" He's also yelling at Roger, and Roger's just taking it, and feeding his ego at the same time (paraphrasing): "If Mr. Townshend says that I'm no good, I am no good. Pete's always right. I've learned to just do what he tells me because he knows more about this than I do." And there is not a drop of sarcasm in the entire talking head bit. Everyone lives in fear of Pete Townshend in the studio.

Legally, sure, it's The Who, but, it's got all the life sucked out of it. If you ever get the chance to listen to Townshend's demos that he would bring to the band, don't be shocked by how unlistenable they are.

I remember when Entwhistle died, one of the quotes I read in the paper from Pete Townshend was (and I'm paraphrasing here), "The only reason we're doing this tour is because John needed money. Him and his girlfriend snorted all their money up their noses. And then, he's got the nerve to up and die on us after all we've done for him.

11. Pete writing songs about boys again...

12. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    Once again, I'm paraphrasing here:

"My research! They took all of my research that I had on my computer! I'll never get that research back!"

13. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    If it could be a CSI theme, then it's the real Who.

14. White Beard

White Beard

Feb 12, 2013
    I was on vacation with my girlfriend and we watched an episode of CSI:NY in the hotel room after along day of museums... and the version of "Won't Get Fooled Again" that played in the intro, had replaced the Entwhistle/Moon bass and drums tracks with different bass and drums.

All I can think is that Pete Townshend saw no reason to pay mechanical rights to dead peoples families when he could replace the tracks himself and keep all money for him and his "research."

15. Townsend said in his biography that the Who always was, and always will be, Roger's band. Roger started it, Roger recruited Pete to join. Even though Pete wrote the songs, he considers Roger the leader.

As for Pete's demos being "unlistenable", well duh! They're DEMOS! They were never meant for release; it's only the fans pestering Pete that made him put them out in the first place. As a songwriter, I find them very enjoyable myself.

Regarding mechanical royalties, as the writer, Pete would get the lion's share anyway. the mechanical royalty is peanuts in comparison. My guess would be that the producers of the show wanted to 'modernize' the recording (which is a stupid idea), and did it with the tracks that didn't feature living members who might complain about it. I don't know if the Who own the masters to their own recordings, or if Polydor/Columbia does. If the label owns the recording (which is usually the case, since they paid for it), they can often do what they like with it, as long as the royalties are paid.

Someone here seems to have a low opinion of Townsend. I might remind that person that while Pete could never be called a saint, he was cleared of any wrongdoing as far as pedophilia.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Was Steely Dan legit after Denny Dias and Jim Hodder were no longer in the band.;)

17. Great point.

18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The great Greg Lake supplying bass on a Who track... RIP Ox & Moon the Loon

19. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't buy into that ... They are still the Who ... just different now ... older and mellower ...

I always thought the Stones were better with Brian Jones ... but they are still the Stones today ...

A lot of bands change lineups ... Look at Yes ...

20. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    John and Keith's playing were INTEGRAL components of The Who's sound IMO. Without them, it's not The Who.
    Brian Jones was not integral to the sound of the Stones. (again, IMO)

When Trevor Rabin was at the helm, it was no longer Yes as far as i was concerned (even though i like the music he did with them).