Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you cut off your own arm?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, May 2, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah I read about this earlier this morning... I feel bad for the poor guy. Apparently he was a big outdoorsman and he's climbed many peaks in the area. What a rush of bad luck. Although he's still alive, and that the most important thing.

Granted, if I had to cut my arm off, I would probably be in a pretty miserable mood the rest of my life.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    In order to survive? Yes!

Tough man that climber!

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I doubt you would to be honest, if you were driven to that point, you'd look back on your actions as a stroke of look that you were given the choice. Sure, theres a bunch of stuff you can't do with 1 arm, but theres even more you can't do without life!

Would his arm have been 'dead' due to no blood flow before cutting it off, as it'd been pinned beneath a rock for sometime? - In otehr words would it be salvagable if it were reclaimed from the mountain?

4. If it's it cold up there, it may indeed be salvagable...

But in Utaw? I thought that was a hot place? *shrugs*

5. I was living in colorado when that happened. That guy is tuff stuff.

I don't think he would want to be the president. Maybe a member of the cia.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Under 1000 lbs. of weight? Not likely regardless of climate.

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I might amputate my own LEG, if it was freezing out and I couldn't feel it much, since those new prosthetic legs are really cool.

But I'd never be in that situation, since I rarely do anything physical, and all my time is spent using both hands doing something that won't endanger the life of my limbs.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Oh, it's not that bad. Here, read this:

Using a pocketknife, Ralston cut off his right arm below the elbow and applied a tourniquet and administered first aid. He then rigged anchors, fixed a rope and rappelled 60 feet to the canyon floor.

See! he didn't really cut his arm off - it was below the elbow, that's only half an arm...it'd be fair to say that he cut his hand off, but arm? C'mon - if you tell me you cut your arm off I want to see it gone at the shoulder.

9. .......:meh:

10. i wouldn't be able to cut off my own arm. and with a pocketknife??? jeez...that's crazy stuff.

11. Wow, Thats pretty scary. This is why I dont go moutain climbing. I would have probably done the same thing though. Id lose an arm for my survival if it was the only choice. I just hope I never have to (especially with a Pocketknife yeeowwwch!)

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm impressed that he didn't pass out from the pain. That must have taken a while with a pocket knife!

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can't imagine how he got through the bone with it. Doesn't really bear thinking about does it?

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Being that the arm was crushed under a 1000 lbs rock, the bone was probably broken and could be pulled out once the flesh was severed.
    I like thinking about this stuff, but I'm creepy like that.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's see ... cut off arm? ... die. ... cut off arm? ... die.

I'll get back to you on this.

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Simple, the story says that he cut his arm of at the elbow. By that he does not have to cut through bone, he cuts the ligaments which join together the bone of the hand, elbow and the bone of the arm. I know there are fancy latin words for these bones, I just don´t know them ;)

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I guess that explains your name, huh? :)

I actually, really don't like to think about this stuff. So I really shouldn't keep coming back to this thread. I probably will though...

Oh, and Munji, yeah I'm with you on that one. Losing my right arm, and more specifically my right hand... is it really worth living after that?

Not being able to play bass... hmm, not good. Not being able to write... well, could cause a problem.

But, only having my left hand to play the piano? Damn!!!

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought it said below the elbow?

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Here it his, he cut the carpal bone(hand(carpal bone consists of the radius and ulna bones)) from the humerus (arm) at the elbow joint.

Where´s Dave Castelo (med student) when you need him?