Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would You Ditch a SVT-3 Pro For a 1001RB-II???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok heres the deal, right now i have an svt-3 pro and it really isnt cutting it. Im sure its a great amp, but it just isnt for me. I have never been able to get a clean sound out of it even after replacing all the preamp tubes and the input.

So anyways i here all of you guys speaking very fondly of the 1001RB-II and i wanted to know if it would be worth it to sell the svt-3 and "upgrade" to the GK. I know the extra power would be a plus, and its lighter (18 lbs, instead of 26 lbs). Any thoughts?

2. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Anything but the SVT

I'd swap mine for a mars bar and a can of coke.

Pity i cant though. My speaker cost me an arm and a leg, so im stuck with it for atleast another few months *sigh*

....i feel your pain

Oh yea, the 1001 ............if you dig it, buy it. Its a great lightweight head, but if you dont like its tonal characteristics, dont buy it. I'd check out the WT-550 aswell. In that wattage catergory, it'd definitely be my 1st choice. But hey, each to their own.

3. If you dig the 1001rb, as in the tone, well yeh, go for it. Equipment as you know isn,t cheap, so make shure you have a good look at other amps too. I personally prefer Ampeg and SWR, but hey, its what sounds better for you! Good luck, go for it. :cool:

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I would definitely trade up for a 1001 RB II. I had an SVT-3 years ago, and was always underwhelmed by both its volume and tone. Every time I plug into a GK (even the less-wattage versions), however, I'm always pleased with the results. If I needed a head right now, the 1001 would be at the top of my list.

5. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    The February issue of Bass Player has a glowing review of the GK 1001RB-II in it. Check that out. It might clarify some things for you. I personally love the GK tone, and at 700 watts, up from 540 in the mark I series, this one is supposed to be punchy as all get-out. The BP review notes, "the first thing I noticed about the 1001RB was its volume. With the EQ and voicing filters set flat, the GK was much louder and more responsive than the volume settings would suggest." The review concludes that this head might just replace the 800RB as the flagship in the GK line. Pros, according to BP: excellent construction, light and portable, versatile tone shaping, sweet tone, low price. Cons: No boost footswitch, intimidating front panel. Hope this helps.

6. wblaze

wblaze

Apr 26, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I replaced my SVT-3 Pro with the GK 700RB. While the Ampeg was slightly warmer, the GK is louder, clearer, punchier, and still definitely warm. The Boost knob is great for adding grit, and the Presence can help scoop/mush out the tone a little if desired. I'm sure you will love the 1001!

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Man, my SVT3 pro could smoke a 1001. In tone and volume.

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I too would go with the GK no doubt. I've been tempted many times to unload my 400+ and go with one of those simply for the weight issue. 75lbs. vs. 18lbs. :meh: .....

9. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks guys i reall appreciate all the responses. Im goin to go to GC right now and make up my mind :D