1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you do this to a new Fender AVRI '63?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toolmybass, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Relic the crap out of it and play it hard

2. Keep it like this until your old and can't play it anyways

3. Just start playing it

4. Sell it now as a closet case and buy a beater

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I may actually make a poll at the end of this. Anynu, I special ordered this bass with plans to "closet case" it. So i didn't want the one hanging on the store display that had been "manhandled" I was at the store when it was taken out of the shipping box and straight home. It was around this time 6 YEARS ago i got it, and it has sat in a closet.....Literally!
    The plastic film is still on the tuners and pick guard. I paid around $2500 for it.
    I have been putting out TONS of ads looking for a beat-up, neglected P bass to use for cover gigs. As i don't want to gig with any of my "high end" ones. So i got to thinking, what are the reasons i decided to "keep it new", will it really be that much of a wow factor, when I'm 70?....will it be worth killer $$?
    So I'm almost toying with the idea of relic'ing this bass, and just playing the crap out of it.
    What should i do?...sell it now untouched and by a beater?
    IMG_4606. IMG_4607. IMG_4609.
    This is what i was thinking
    fender-custom-shop-1964-l-series-precision-bass-heavy-relic-aged-vintage-white-253089.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    nixdad likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can't keep it and buy a beater?

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Wow you havent just played it all this time? I mean, these basses are incredible. Just play it as is. Make it your main player. Dont worry about relicing or anything else. Mine has checked nitro and a slight ding in the neck just from 3 years of tons of play.

Play it. A lot. These basses rule. They are meant to be main players. I dont understand the cheap, beat up part.

4. I have too many basses, and due to health issues, haven't been able to work in 2 years. So no more buying unfortunately.

Fletz, micguy and jd56hawk like this.
  5. babsobass

babsobass

Jan 10, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Play it dude, just play it! And enjoy.

6. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Please no! It's beautiful just like it is and they are getting hard to find, especially up here in Canada. Are you near Toronto?

Look for a Roadworn or keep watch for a beater!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    AYC and BBassBassington like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I'm not a Fender man.
    So I wouldn't buy one in the first place.

The things I could do with $2500.00!

And I most certainly would not buy a bass to make look old when it isn't.
    The style of basses that I like haven't been around for 50 years.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    What are you saving it for? An AVRI for $2500? You can buy that bass for $1500 today and probably less than that. Its going to take another 20 to 25 years at a minimum to be worth what you paid. Guitars need to be played, sitting in the case does nothing for anyone.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Buy a new car. Put some dents in the fenders. Sand the paint off the rocker panels and treat with muriatic acid until the rust starts tho show. Put some rips in the upholstery and some nicks in the tires. Lightly sandblast the paint to remove the gloss in a patchy way.

It's a vibe kinda thing.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    don't expect us to even be here in a few decades, rock it like there's no tomorrow cos there ain't!

11. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Currently the poll is unanimous to just play it! TB has officially agreed on something.

12. You can find a beater in almost any pawn shop. Once you alter that bass in the way you are considering, you cannot go back and un-alter it.

13. Just play it.

mussa, Dave Neal, Glenn Mac and 4 others like this.
  14. I'm 1hr drive west of T.O

15. Trust me, I'm looking. Hard to find a beat up American P with a straight maple neck. I'm not even fussy on the color (except red)

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The days of new Fenders appreciating in value has long passed - it's not an investment. But rather than drag it behind a truck, just play and gig it. Let nature do the work.

My friend has a '58 Strat and a '63 335. He gigs both regularly. Neither looks reliced, nor do they look new. Isn't that's the way it is supposed to be?

17. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Am I correct in deducting that you have a bunch of basses that you consider too nice to take out of the house and play? I think I'd pick one and go with it before I bought yet another one for that purpose. I'd certainly spare this beauty any unnatural wear and tear.

18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    It’s not a vintage bass and will continue to lose value. So I don’t see why the bass needs to be stored.

19. moreblues

moreblues Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2013
    hudson valley,n.y.
    Life is too short...Awesome bass,you and your audience will appreciate and enjoy it more then your closet...Play her as is!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Glenn Mac, Mr_Moo, MCF and 2 others like this.
  20. I voted just play it. But, if i pulled that thing out of my closet, id sell it and get a VM, CV, or MIM- then put that money in the bank. To me that IS a high end bass!

If you need the money (which it doesnt sound like you do) then sell it. Otherwise just play! Its gorgeous, as is. :)