Would you do this trade? (fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Oct 14, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My MIJ 75 RI Jazz for a MIM Deluxe Precisionbass (reacent model). The P-bass is used but mint and its really nice sounding and playing. What would be a fair deal? Should I expect to get some money or pay some for this trade?
    The MIM issue doesnt bother me as I have played the one Im talking about. Its one of the great ones. Real light. And I do prefer the P-pickup.
    I thought the J pup at the bridge might add some versatility. I will probably add a "j-retro" to isolate the pups from eachother.
  2. If you like the P better, go for it, but if you could get some money too, try to do that because it technically is not a fair trade (price). At least I'm pretty sure.
  3. Yeah, the other guy should throw in a few bucks, but, reading between the lines, I don't think this is going to happen.

Think this through carefully.

Mike J.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ll bring my bass to the store tomorrow and ask what deal I can get.
  5. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    A new MIM p-bass deluxe is only $700 listed. Your bass is worth more.
  6. Stores are notorious for NOT giving the best deals on trades. BELIEVE ME. I thought you were going to trade with another person.

Mike J.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'd keep the jazz. It's much more versatile

8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd keep the '75 Jazz, and save up for the other bass. Even if it took a year or more, at least you won't regret selling the bass from 1975. Here are few things to consider...

I bought a brand new P bass with a maple neck back in 1974, I put in a Jazz pick up at the bridge in 1976. I kind of got bored with it in 1982, and sold it so that I could buy a new bass. I've been sorry about selling it ever since. Now that it's 2002, I'm even more sorry about selling that bass.

Most people that I've shared my story with (and who have had a similar experience with thinking that it's a good idea to sell an old Fender) agree with me that it's generally a bad idea to sell a decent-playing Fender bass from the 60's and 70's. You'll probably live to regret it.

Just MHO, and I understand that there may also be just as strong an argument that supports the trade-in or sale of your Jazz.
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You should be able to get the pbass special for no more than 500 bucks brand new.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Before taking the bass to a store, try posting an ad in the Classifieds section. You'll probably get more than the store will give you and the buyer would pay less than the store would charge.

Why you'd want to give up that bass is beyond me, though...
  11. If you don't mind having a maple board, take a walk to Tip Top and try trading you 75 RI for one of the American Hot Rodded P:s they're selling so "cheaply" right now. Seems like a better trade to me. Even though the MIM Deluxes I've tried have felt really good, the American ones will have better resale value and a more sold construction to begin with.
    Oh well, if you decide to trade for that MIM after all, you should get some money for your bass. Otherwise the trade wouldn't be quite fair.

Lycka till!
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My thoughts exactly!:cool:
    The MIJ 75 RI jazz is a great bass.
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Don't get rid of it man... Have u ever tried Essex Basses? Try their Ps... U can get a great upgrade for them and get a nice setup and it will still be the same price as a MIM Fender P Special

14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Do not trade straight up for an MIM p-bass. MIM fender basses are good basses.. but your 75 RI MIJ is worth alot more.. I personally would not get rid of it... but hey.. thats me
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    used MIM Ps go for ~$300
    used MIJ Jazz' go for ~$450

If you want the P, Sell the Jazz first, buy the P, and put $150 in your pocket.

(edited: I didn't notice you were talking about the P deluxe, so I adjusted the numbers)
  16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No I wouldn't. No way, no how.
  17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    There's no way I would make that kind of trade. If you're dead-set on selling the Jazz, put an ad up in the Classifides section and sell it through there. You should get a much better deal. Then you can take that money and get the P-bass.
  18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree with the posters here... I would not trade it for the MIM P.
  19. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you really want to get rid of the 75 RI, then put it in the classifieds here... I am sure there are several people that would move on a bass like that!

especially me!