1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you down-tune an $$$ or cheapo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicG, Oct 24, 2010.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hey guys,

Simple Question. If you had an expensive instrument (of the classic Music Man stingray persuasion:ninja:) and it was a 4 stringer but you needed to drop-tune to standard B...would you? OR would you keep it standard and buy something cheaper for fear of modifying/damaging such an expensive instrument?

Since I last posted here I have left my band, graduated, got a job, saved money and sold off my two former gigging basses to finally get one I've been dreaming/gassing about. I'm a little apprehensive about going either way (modifying and keeping one vs. buying another) and was looking for some opinions.

Thanks

2. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    You wouldn't actually modify or damage the stock 4 string bass, just change the nut to one cut for heavier strings.
    Keep the original nut in the case.

It's always nice to have a backup, though.

3. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Kcole- thanks for your input!

Bump for other opinions

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I play in multiple bands with different tunings, and I have one bass set up for C standard (easy enough to drop down to BEAD if needed), and another set up for E.

If you can afford to get a second bass, do that (always nice to have a bass tuned standard kicking around...). But if you can't, don't be afraid to do what you have to do in order to get the job done. The only thing that would really need modding is the nut, and that can be replaced. Unless you have a vintage instrument, I wouldn't worry about it too much.