1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you ever borrow money to buy a bass you really liked?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Simple question. Would you ever borrow money to buy a bass you really liked?

2. Imagine your randomly at a yard sale and there is a 1966 Jazz in MINT condition for 50$ from some old lady. You turn to your friend and say, A) Give me 50$ now. B) lets go get some lunch.

3. gimme money, gimme money. RFN!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I have and no doubt I will again.

5. Depends how much money and how you borrow it. If it was borrowing a few hundred maybe a thousand from a friend or relative then sure, but from a company never!

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah most definitely.

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    yes have and would again.. :)

its the American way

8. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm considering it right now... even though I'll have the right money in a week or two and the bass isn't going anywhere.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. I have and I will continue to do so.

10. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

11. Generally not.

12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I borrow money from Visa and Mastercard all the time to buy basses!!

13. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Where does a bear sh*t, then?

14. Sure I would. If I know I can pay it back relatively quickly.

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

I have, but from a bank fund set up for my own future use... and it will be paid back 100%.

So, as long as I know I can afford it, sure.

And only from my own reserve stashes.

16. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Heh, I have enough money saved up to buy a nice bass (for your standards), and I can't buy it 'cuz I'll most probably need the money afterwards for other stuff, so if I buy a bass now, I"ll need to borrow money later. A sucky feeling, especially because I play one of the poopiest basses existing.

17. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: What are you thinking of buying, Fassa?

From a purely financial viewpoint, borrowing money to buy a used/vintage bass could be a really smart move. A lot of basses appreciate at a higher rate than the rate of inflation and are actually great investments (you get to play them, any "wear" that you add to them is just considered "character building" and then you get to sell them for a big fat profit and go out buy another one :eek: )!

If, however, you're thinking of getting into c/c debt, or some HP deal, just to buy a new bass that will be worth exactly 50% of what you paid for it the second you get it home, I'd advise against it. That's how some young people get into serious money problems, IMO.

18. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England

:p No pics, no "poopiest bass existing" .....

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It depends, a little bit from a family member that I could play back in a very space of time, yes. But I would never borrow to buy a new bass, only something that I could sell on for a profit. When I buy a new bass, I make sure I can comfortably afford it-no eating 9p noodels from Asda til my paycheque comes in!

You'd be better of saving up for it. The bass that you have now might be a battered no namer, but it's better than debt.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yes, I would borrow money to purchase a bass, but I would NEVER purchase a bass I couldn't afford.