Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you ever sell your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Would you ever sell your first propper bass? Cuz this is the dilema I'm faced with. I like the tone of my Fender Jazz Fretless, it's just the big body and the shape isn't my thing. So I'm considering selling it to buy a new bass. Am I making the right choice? :confused: :help:

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    It is a piece of wood, it does not love you back. I sold my first and my second good basses, sometimes I think about them, about how they sucked in comparision to what I am playing now.

3. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Fender basses have never been my favorite for that reason. Isn't there some way to keep the first one until you can afford other? If you sell it, you'll miss it. :crying:

4. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    I sold mine about 15 years ago. it was an ugly cherry red brand x spiderman looking bass. $100 bucks. Turned around and bought a Yamaha YBB300 for $100 Bucks.

I wa getting into playing jazz around NY and the spidey just didn't fit the role. I wish there was some way I could have kept it. :crying:

5. But I barely play it...but I feel like it was my first propper bass. I am getting sentimental over a non-living object. I'm sad.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I got tired of my first bass standing around and taking up space I took it apart and burned its wooden parts. There's no way in hell I could have sold that pile of crap as it played horribly and much of it was broken. I've never been an overly sentimental guy, I think.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sell the Fender and buy another Spector. You're going to do it anyway, so why even ask?

8. Am I? How do you know?

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    it depends... if your getting a great deal ya no problem.. i would never sell my warwick... oh nick the warwick man.. wanna buy a dolphin for bout 450-500 pounds?

10. Hmm, you said you would never sell your warwick. But then yo usaid you would. If you;re serious PM me. I'm looking at as much gear as I can so I can make a good choice.

11. ++++1.

;) ;) ;)

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Would I sell my first bass? I've thought about it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm the sentimental type, anyways. BTW, it's a Fender MIM Jazz V, so it does get some use when I need a 5'er.

In response to your post... You're the only person who will know which is the "right" choice. Do you want to have this bass around? Even if it doesn't have the image you're looking for, it's always good to have access to a variety of different basses and tones. It does sound like you've already made your mind up, though...

There are a few things I'd like to say about excessive GAS, but I'll leave that out of this. I hope others will do the same.

~Hurley

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Is it just for looks or does the body actually impede you in any way? If you like the sound.........

One thing I would like to say, is that we all go through points in our lives [usually in the first few years of playing] that we buy into the "this one more thing will make me god". I did it when I was around your age and I still fall into it now and then, but, in the end only what is inside of your mind, soul and hands will bring out the possibility of being great; NO MATTER WHAT BASS YOU ARE PLAYING.

Now if this new bass is the only way you can get the sound that is in your head out then sure, go for it; but will it end there or will the power of GAS cloud your mind after a month or two?

Also, keep in mind a LOT of one's sound is in their hands, and changing basses wont make all that much of a difference. No matter what bass I play [cheep **** or golden calf :eyebrow:] I ALWAYS sound like me, and I like it that way.

Now as for my fist bass [a 74 Fender P], NO, I will never sell it unless it's a life & death thing; hell, I'm still trying to find another four string as a backup much less a replacement.

14. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    Sell it man. I sold my first bass. And my second. and my third, fourth,... well you get the idea. I am now on my 13th or so bass I am just now finding something that I really like. In all of those bass there were some good ones and I remember some of them fondly, but what I have now (Ken Smith) is so good, I don't really miss them. Good luck with you search. :bassist:

15. It hits my knee when I walk about. Also, I liked the sound I got from my Rebop, but I wanted something classier. I may just have found it...... :hyper:

16. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    If you keep it (as a back-up maybe?) and eventually you regret not selling it, you can always sell it and make yourself feel better. I you do sell it and eventually regret that, well... that's a lot harder to undo.

That being said, if you don't play it because you don't like it and you can't afford a new one without selling this one, dump it.

17. Just to bring a degree of reality to the situation, assuming that the contents of the Public Profile are accurate, this is a person who is just 16 years of age and who CURRENTLY owns SIX (Yes SIX) basses. It also quotes, under "Gigs Bands and Ensembles" None!!

With great respect, I think any further comment is completely redundant. :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I sold my first bass less than a year after I bought it. It was a cheapo Cort with a P/J setup I bought for $125. Back then, there was no option for getting a second bass. It was hard enough to afford one, let alone keep two. The only way I could afford to get a better bass was to sell the one I had. And that I did, willingly and happily.
    No regrets what so ever. The only time I ever think about that bass is when threads like this pop up.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I sold my first bass, a Yamaha RBX 250. A week ago I bought it back (guitarist friend of mine had it for about 5-6 years) and modified it: now it has two EMG DC35 pickups and both plays and sounds magnificent!

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Comments like this is redundant. It's been said about a million times about NTB, just do a search. No need to throw additional stones at Nick, he's got plenty thrown at him as is.