Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you expose corruption with possible ramifications to yourself?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you in your place of work/local government or say even a Church expose serious corruption and abuse of power or people knowing full well that you could face serious ramifications that could threaten your longevity or livelyhood in these institutions?. I have had to bite the bullet several times and ride out the heat to address this kind of thing but you know at the end of the day you have to live with your own conscience.In all walks of life you get people that have been able to set themselves up into being a littel " Tin gods" with absoulute control and they realize they are virtually unstopable because they can stomp out any dissent without question but somewhere along the way accountability and justice will come for them as well. Have a good day everyone :) .

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In a heartbeat. Nothing anyone can do to me that is more destructive than living with a guilty conscience. I always remember my parents telling me....."the softest pillow is a clear conscience".

-Mike

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Stand up for what you know is right. Be careful about becoming dependent on any job or other situation that may present you with ethical dilemmas.

I worked at a company where the president directed me to put some bogus specs that he just picked out of the air onto the spec sheets for a group of products.

It was not right. I resisted it as long as I could but ultimately could not convince him to abandon the deception, and I went along. I was angry at his intentions to mislead, though I had come to more frequently expect that from him, but I was as angry at myself for allowing myself to be in a position where I could not ultimately threaten to walk out over it. So I put my efforts outside of work into updating and sending out my résumé, making contacts, etc.

As I gathered some decent job leads, I found myself better able to think independently about my own values. So when another ethical crisis came up a couple months later, in which an underling in my depertment was being fired for the big boss's own poor decisions, I decided I'd had enough. Instead of giving two weeks notice, it was maybe two hours. ;)

I did without a paycheck for a few weeks before the new job started, but I never felt so free. It was like I'd tunneled under the Berlin Wall and come up into the sunlight on the free side.

And within a few years the boss whom I'd clashed with drove his previously well-positioned company right into the ground.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep, and decide from day one your stand on this issue. Nothing worse than playing along a few times, and then later decide you want to get all honest and proper.

-Mike

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I left a church because two of the pastors (both sons of the head pastor) were involved in numerous extramarital affairs, including some with underage participants. They were also providing pre-marriage counseling at the time. The Senior Pastor was aware of the situation and allowed it to continue. It was a very difficult decision, which cost me friendships, a solid musical base (one of the largest most respected music ministries in the country), and some great ministry opportunities, and effected my Christian walk. I do find that I have become very cynical and much less trusting of ministers, probably a good thing. It's not easy, but like the song says "Respect yourself" has to be first in those situations. I could not continue in that church knowing what I knew, unfortunately many of my friends were deceived or chose "not to know" what was going on

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm sure that this thread can function quite well as a simple secular moral question.

If individuals also base their opinion on their faith, fine. Don't knock it. Accept it as an individual's answer and leave it at that.

I'm looking at you, CrazyArcher.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    While not a work issue, I've done battle several times with our town's Soccer Club. Things like the... quality of the program, the fact that there are no provisions or requirements for club coaches to recieve any training or certifications, the crappy fields etc. What wound up happening was that they found someone within the "clique" to swear that I was cussing and using abusive language towards the kids during a game. Total lies, but what can you do. I fought them to the point of going to a town council meeting to try and get the club's field usage permits suspended until some investigations were made. The club is really corrupt. The board members said that they were doing volunteer work, and it turns out that they are taking a "salary"(albeit small) from the cub treasurey. The treasurey comes from the registration fees.

Anyway, the club got wind of it and I was stripped of my traveling team. Myself and my 9yr. old son were both sent (handwritten) registered letters that said we were now "Banned for Life" from any future dealings with Howell Soccer Club. I went to the next town over and formed a new team with another club. 1/2 of my previous team followed me and the old team nearly folded. They managed to find some simpleton to take it over and reform the team. My new team recently played my old club team and we beat them 12-0. Sweet Payback.

In the meantime the old club was busy calling other clubs in the area badmouthing me and telling them that I'm a psycho etc. They also tried calling the state board to get my license suspended, the state board laughed at them. My new club and I have managed to go to some league meetings and tell our story. The reslut was that Howell Soccer club has been banned from one of the bigger leagues that most of their teams would've played in. And the issue is now being considered by the other league too.

As the guy in "the Breakfast Club" once said, "you mess with the bull, you get the horns. The only thing I regret is that my son isn't playing with some of his buddies now, but he's on a higher level team and is really starting to develop into an exceptional player. So, I guess it all worked out in the end.

8. I'm not the most high-minded guy in the world, but if there was corruption to expose, I would feel obligated to do so. Especially if I was somehow involved. My conscience simply wouldn't allow me to stand by and let things continue. When stuff like this goes on, someone has to stand up and set the record straight.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where oftentimes people who blow the whistle on themselves and their friends/employers are labeled 'snitches'. If the possible legal ramifications of exposing corruption that you yourself have been part of isn't enough, the social stigma of doing so exists as well.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Honor
    Courage
    Commitment

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I only care about myself, so it's doubtful. I would only do it if I could use it to my advantage.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I hate corruption!

I would make sacrifices to end it, if I had the power...

:)

12. I can't stand the idea that I grew and I will leave in a country (or world!) where corruption is here everywhere.....

But, most, I hate the idea that some people, perhaps less good than me at work (or better!!??) will get a place I'm applying to, because they know "high" persons!!

Vince

13. There are times I have, someone got fired for cause, sued, I ended up agreeing to testify as a character witness. Knowing he was in the wrong, but willing to testify as to his character, even though as a contractor at that company, I could be let go at any time. I felt I had to. Granted, that was back during the IT boom when I was confident I could find another job if I got canned for it though.

Later after the IT boom busted, at one point I was out of work for 9 months before finding another job. Would I take the same risk after that experience? Depends on how serious the ethical dilema was. It would have to be a doosey.

Randy

14. I try to keep my income options flexible so that if I have to quit I can with minimal impact on me and my family. I hope to be able to carefully think about these types of problems when they arise and arrive at a well considered decision. Unfortunately, corruption does not always cooperate with my schedule.

A few years back my wife had work in Mexico and I went along for a vacation. During that assignment she became increasingly dissatisfied and alarmed at what was happening in the home office. On the way back she asked me to drive and made one more call to the company president seeking support. When she didn't get it, she pulled out the lap top and typed her resignation and a letter to the State regulatory agency. We got back to the home office after midnight. She printed out both letters, left the resignation and her keys on the presidents desk, and put the "regulatory violation" letter in a mail box. The next morning she arranged several job interviews and had a new job that evening.

I was very impressed. Things usually do not work out well for whistle blowers, but they have a clear conscious. In the case of my wife she has a clear conscious, a better job and is on a better career path.

Major, if this is an inquiry about a specific problem you are trying to decide, then I suspect you already know what you should do. I am far from Christian, but I think you need to spend some time in prayer. You have chosen a vocation, or it has chosen you, that requires a clear conscious above all else. Despite a checkered history, the Church is supposed to be an instrument for good in the world, not a retreat for sin and corruption. The novel from which my signature line is taken is exactly about that issue: those who appear good and are not, specifically, those who use the Church to justify self-serving and evil.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have exposed corruption at other businesses I used to work at but it never affected me personally because I had already left. If it did affect me, it would depend on my level of corruption. If all I would get is a slap on the wrist, I'd expose it. If it meant jail time or losing a good-paying job, I'd think twice about it. Maybe it's not very Christian of me, but so be it. My first responsibility is to me and my family. And I can't very well help out my family unemployed and in jail.

16. MAJOR METAL

Thank You for your feedback Aaron i agree with you 100%.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    No organization or institution, chuch, government,school, nothing, is better than the worst person who calls it home.

18. Major, check your private messages.

19. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Aaron :)

20. A couple of years ago my dad was fired from his job at a law firm for exposing corruption. The firm would tell people that they would come to them and would most often insist on it. They would then bill the hell out of them for the driving time.

My dad then filed a malpractice suit against them and won. He worked for himself for a little while before joining another firm that is honest in their practices and he is now a senior partner...one of the three.

It all evens out in the end.