1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you file a police report for this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So i live on a real quiet block, only a couple of houses, only foot traffic is kids from a local high school and the occasional person parking to talk on the cell phone. HOWEVER, in the last month, 3 times i have found piles of small, heavy-duty, tack-size nails strewn along the curb where my girlfriend parks her car and in the street parallel to the curb where the driver's side tires would be. :spit: I was doing yard work monday, and they weren't there. i found them this morning while bringing the trash cans back into the yard. I walked around the block. No nails anywhere but in front of my house.

We have been here 2 years, are super quiet, and our dog isn't even close to the loudest in the neighborhood (she's 10 too..). My girlfriend works constantly and is rarely home except for the evenings when she is not working. We aren't taking someone else's parking spot (the street is bare), and we have hardly even spoken to our neighbors (we keep to ourselves). The car is a '93 camaro, by no means beat up, but it's obviously not new.

She has no enemies. I mean seriously.. :rolleyes:

Should i call the police? Would it be worth it? It isn't happening on a regular basis so it's not like i can stake out the spot and wait. My girlfriend is a professional videographer for her side work so we have that covered if necessary...

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I vote yes. Document, photograph, and report. Chances are they will do nothing, but create the history and the report.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Sure, call the cops. Sounds like they don't have a lot to do in your quiet neighborhood, maybe they'd enjoy the opportunity to do some sleuthing or stake-out-ing.

4. netface

netface

Jan 27, 2008
    NH
    spy cam the bastard!

5. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Well, i am just a couple blocks from where it gets a little seedy, and there is the high school, so there is some police patrolling the area. The first time i thought it was an At&T guy who was working on the pole right next to our house and maybe he just dropped a handful.... not so much anymore

6. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    maybe it was the AT&T guy. and maybe he came back for his missing nails and maybe in the process of picking them up, he accidentally dropped another bunch of them.

its possible. did he look like this?

costello-lou.

and yeah, if you file a police report now, then if it turns into a bigger deal later, you will be covered.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I wouldn't. You can do all the detective work yourself. Why bother the police because you have a wild imagination? :)

He'll "be covered" later? Covered for what?

-Mike

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    what part of san diego is this?

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Report it. Maybe the cops won't do anything but maybe they will. Either way, this is criminal mischief (an attempt at it, at least) and should be reported.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Leave a sign on the curb that says
    "Thanks for the nails, I can finish construction on my catapult now. The police have been alerted, and I have your face on camera. Good day."

11. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Win.

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    On the sign, remove 'have your face', and insert 'caught you'.
    ;)

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Reinforcement! Good call Staccato.

Since the incident is relatively harmless at that point, I can't help but fight my nature to **** around with the perps a little bit.
    Id also suggest, OP, that your girlfriend park her car in a different spot.

14. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    A "nicer" part of clairemont. Mostly families, no multi-unit rentals within a few blocks.

I was just speaking with my father about this and he suggested maybe getting a Wild Game cam that we can attach to a tree we have overlooking the spot where this happens.. Not sure if that's worth the money though.

I'm thinking also of maybe getting one of those phony cams that take batteries so it appears to be recording. And then attach a sign to the utility pole next to the spot telling people to "say cheese, we see you!"

15. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Me too. We are on a corner so i suggested to her that she try parking around the corner. The camaro does have a corvette engine in it (it's a baaad mofo), that is relatively loud (and nicely tuned), but she doesn't even leave for work until after 9:00 am so if that's waking somebody up they need to get a life.

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My guess is that the perp is probably one of the passing high school kids who have seen the badass car and are acting out of spite.

I had a coworker who lived on a street where school aged kids would pass everyday. He had those pop-up sprinklers, and weekly some kid would come by and kick it out of the ground.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I don't know if I'd file a police report. Your girlfriend might get arrested for tacks evasion !!!!!

Ah thank you. Thank you very much. I'll be here all weekend.

18. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    that was good. i must say.. really, really good.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's a sickness. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Call the cops and rig up some video surveillance.

20. you wont regret it if you do, even if you never need it. you may regret it if you dont and something else happens.