1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you fill in?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by spade2you, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I haven't been in a band in a long time and there's a gui**** who seems to harass me because I'm unwilling to play in crappy bands.

Anyhoo, there's a local indie band that needs a bassist for Saturday. They started looking on Tuesday. Given my work schedule, this would give me Friday and Saturday to work on the songs. With the band being very indie, it's very sloppy and loose. It's not my style whatsoever, so I can barely make it through the songs just listening.

Obviously no pay. I'm sure it would be a nice gesture on my part, but I worry that it could be a train wreck and this favor could end up biting me in the ass later.

What say you?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It depends on your goals. If you're interested in being an on-call or fill in type of guy (with or without a steady band)...then absolutely. If you're just looking for a steady band, not so much.

When trying to get your name out there, I think the more bands you've played with the better off you'll be. If you don't think you'd do a good job at it, I'd probably pass.

I'll do pretty much any fill in stuff as long as I can play it. I'd like to do some jazz stuff too, but I wouldn't know the first thing about it.

3. I would skip it if I were you. It might give you a bad rap if it does end up being a train wreck, and its obvious your hearts not in it. I wouldn't listen to a thing that gui**** says also. They obviously do not have your best interest in mind. Do what makes you happy.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Let's see an asshat guitarist,sloppy music, no pay...NO. But if your just sittin in the house watchin the tube...why not?

5. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. I would pass.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope.................not doin' it! While it may be a great networking opportunity, sometimes ya just gotta draw the line! I'd much rather hit an open mic and check out who the good musos are and hand out business cards and such as well as play.

7. When I get called for a sub gig I evaluate as such:

1. Do I already have plans and is the gig worth changing them?
    2. Is it something I would enjoy?
    3. Does it pay enough to cover my time?

If the answer to either of these three questions is No, I have my answer.

8. The guitarist bugging me about not playing isn't in this band. Zero respect for that guy. He might be there. Not afraid of him, but I just don't like him and don't want to encounter him. Long story short, there are a lot of bad bands and he seems to think it's better to play in a sloppy band than not at all. I disagree.

Perhaps passing on this one would be best. The last thing I need is something like this ending up on youtube. Then again, I've lost numerous auditions to people who didn't even play bass in the first place. :p

9. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Dude, that's hillarious! Would he make the same statement to Billie Sheehan or the like? Can you see that?: "HEY!, you only play in good bands!"

10. Sloppy and loose indie band... will there be anyone there to watch you and even give a f#&k?

If you don't like the music I wouldn't bother

11. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    No pay? No bass.

12. 1. will there be females? (hey, i don't know your marital status)
    2. will it be FUN?
    3. will you have more than three networking opportunities over the course of the gig?

you gotta play the middle school recital before you can play carnegie hall. unless you're a robot or something. are you a robot?

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Seems like running madly off in all directions is a better option

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm going to rephrase this to make sure I got it right....

I refuse to play in crappy bands. A retarded guitarist I know, who annoys me all the time to play in bands I don't want to play in has a really crappy band, and wants me to fill in for a gig on saturday. No way I can learn the songs because I don't have the time, I will most likely train wreck, it's not my style of music, and they're not paying me a cent. I've a feeling if I do it, it's going to come back and haunt me. Should I do this gig?

Ans: No.

Did I even rephrase that?

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sounds like a waste of your time.

blue

16. This is the guy.
    Big AL band - YOU SUCK! - live at Barley St Tavern - YouTube

The fact that a "band" like this is getting shows kinda says something. In all honesty, I think his attacks on my local board are simply to draw more attention to his band. His bassist left and he has a drummer, who he's dating, that's learning to play drums....while playing live.

One of the closing bands has (or at least had) a following.

It has been a long time since I've even been in a band, but I'm more worried that someone might film this with a phone and put it on the dang interweb. What's worse is that I'm a boutique bass player and this would be filed under the "see?! I told you that those Fedora guys can't play bass and are compensating!!"

I'm married. I haven't been allowed to have fun for several years. :atoz:

I'm fine with paying my dues, but this is a big step down from when I used to play. LOL, the jazz scene is hard enough to infiltrate. Playing in a sloppy band could perhaps make my chances worse.

17. dsuich

dsuich

Dec 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I say any play can be good play, try to get beyond the style of music and get into the music itself if you can. Regardless of pay, for me it's always just fun to play...

I say do it, you may be surprised at the result.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have no fear of looking stupid onstage. Fill in with a crapass band? Sure, no problem.

Fill in with a crapass band for free? Problem.

19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    "Sorry, I can't make that date".

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I honestly DID NOT expect that to be that bad. Wow! Also, the bassist looks hot from a distance.

If you don't dig the music and you really don't wanna be there, I really don't see how this could benefit you any.