Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you gig with an Avalon 737??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, May 28, 2005.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Before I get up stoopid early Monday and drag myself to the GC Memorial Day sale, I'd like to ask those here if they'd gig with an Avalon 737 provided $$ wasn't an issue.

I've asked before and I got answers like it's too fragile, and just outright "no". But how different is the U5 fro the 737? And my U5 is rugged as hades!! I've held a 737 in my hands and should probaly be arrested for the ways I've felt it up.... :eyebrow: It's not a fragile little piece of gear. But I love the U5 tone, just hate the lack of EQ options. The 737 would easily solve that. And I have gigged with my U5! So why not a 737?

I remember the L.A. Bass Exchange's glowing review of the 737. I've been lusting ever since. It's a serious investment in a pre, but I'm asking more about practicality than cost. Another friend of mine is gigging with a Manley VoxBox--- that's $3000!!! The Avalon 737 is half that. And the tone from that Manley combined with his Crest FA2401 should be illegal in 35 of the lower 48. In fact, I'm certain it is. Good thing he's in Hawaii.

So, would you or wouldn't you? Avalon 737, for everyday gigging..... Let me hear ya TB!! :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks!

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HELL YEAH! If I had it I would! It's not an irreplaceable(collectable) piece & if it is what you want in live sound, DO IT! Tommorrow is NEVER promised to you...

~S~

PS: I'm probably gonna use my V8(Trace Elliot) at my next gig...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In a second. I gig my U5 frequently, no probs. The four tubes in the 737 make it a little more important to be careful handling it.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i totally wouldnt...

course, like most other gear sluts, i'd look for the sturdier first cousin alternative. :p :D

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    :eek: Mr. Munji, I thought you were an exclusive Eden guy.... :confused:

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

Why not? Too fragile? You don't like the tone?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nah,

he's been touting his love affair with his U5 and DB750 for a long while now.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not at all,

just too pricey to be hauling around, and IMHO, if its made for the studio, i try not to bring it out of its element. with that said, had i had Oprah money, and the shop was 20 min. from me for those "holy crap, it died on me 30 min before the gig!", sure why not?

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You're a little behind the times. When I don't take a rig to the gig, I run either a U5 or BassBone direct to the board. Apparently, you never saw this, either.

10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Do you think it's that fragile to be reliable on a gig? I understand the "out of it's element" concept. It's probably intended to be used in a studio, but, what can I say, it's a sweet tone machine!! Coupled with a Crest CA9 that I'm also eyeballing, I'd be set till I'm 40!! (I'm currently 39...birthday's in 3 months :D )

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

Sweet Jesus..... :crying: :crying: :crying:

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I did a couple of studio sessions running a P bass into a VT737, then into the board. The EQ and compression capabilities are excellent. I think that it might sound great in live applications. Since I believe that it was designed for studio applications, I agree with Mario that there may be a concern with it getting "banged around" under gigging conditions.

:bassist: :meh: :bassist:

13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok...I have a 737 (as well as a U5 and a Manley VoxBox). I have gigged with it, but do not anymore. And here is why:

1. It is a bit bulky,and a bit heavy, as is the U5. It is also full of glass. To "safely" gig it means housing it in a well insulated, preferably shock-mounted, ATA type rack (not an SKB thing-y). This means extra room, size and weight. Gigging it also means it WILL get banged about.

2. Altho' not irreplacable, it is expensive. Gigging out with things always means something will go wrong....and since it is rather pricey, that means keeping an extra eye on it to make sure it is not "moved", kicked, knocked over, precariously placed, or (worst of all) used as a coaster or coffee table.

3. Tho the 737 is well built, it is still fragile. Bumping and jostling about can have an impact on the inner components (again...it is full of glass!)

4. Most, if not all, of the sonic enhancements gained by using this are lost when combined with inferior PA support and bad room acoustics. In short, yes it is a very cool unit...wonderful, infact....but it also a bit overkill for most gigs. In most cases I have found the inferior acoustics, band volume, and poor PA have made the extra "richness" of the Avalon, and even moreso the Manley, moot. There are wiser, more efficient, simpler, lighter choices for preamplification. My Manley and Avalon pres are studio tools. In this environment the features and quality of these units can be used both efficiently and to their potential (as well as greater care can be made with their shipping and moving....). Preamps of this order can fine tune a signal to the nth degree, and that is not always a desirable thing in a live situation (the high end on the 737 goes up to 30 kHz!!) Too many options can create some nightmarish soundcheck scenarios.

Live I have found my Demeter HBP1 gives me a sound comparable to what my Avalon and Manley units can bring (not the same mind you but comparable...especially when dealing with live acoustical environs), with a bit of added flexibility (and due to the limited number of options, and interface which is a bit easier to deal with).

Of course..there are guys who gig out with Manley, Avalon or Millennia mic pres. (and, to be fair, let us not toss out the inevitable AJ comparisons, as Mr. Jackson is, quite simply, at whole different level than the rest of us). I sometimes wonder when I see these in gigging racks if it is really for the sound or is it for the player's ego (or are the "compensating for something"?).

One reason the U5 is so popular in touring racks is it gives a comparable, high quality mice pre sound in a smaller, and more durable package (being a SS device). Not it does not have the bells and whistles, or the sonic carving abilities of the 737, but it delivers the same sort of pristine sound in a simpler, more gig-friendly layout.

Max

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think max hit it on the head re: the idea that the extra sonic gains will be lost in the gigging environment.

that said, and keeping the fragile nature of some of the components in mind (but hey, the aguilar 680 has 5 tubes itself), i am thinking that the units such as the 737 are probably more road worthy than some other units.

why? well, in a bp article a few years back they reviewd a few high end mic preamps. one thing that they said made sense. these units are meant to be used day in and day out, every day. they are generally made of top quality compnents and constructed very well. Compare that level of construction to some of the cheaper and mid priced units out there and you get the idea.

sure i'd gig with one. i just wouldn't let certain people i know carry it for me. :smug:

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Joker,

Didn't you gig with your Aggie 728 & tube pre???...

~S~

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I would agree with this. I mean, what about all those all-tube guitar amps that get gigged all the time? I don't let anybody carry anything that I care about.

17. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If I had one I'd gig with it. I'm very carful with my gear.

18. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, the Aggie pre has 5 tubes in it...and that has been (for some) a dilemma. I know folks who use all tube stuff (I e even have an all tube Demeter pwr amp), and when it is gigged the stuff is racked in a very safe, shock mounted, foam lined...big 'n heavy rack (the rack for my tube pre's, when I use it, weighs 55 lbs alone!).

In refereence to the BP article: in use, day in and day out, is a lot different than "gigging" where stuff is schlepped about day in and day out. And, no matter how careful one is, the "road gear" is suspect to all kinds of ill-fate (mostly from other folks who know not of the expense or fragility of this stuff. I have seen many a rack tipped over or kicked on stages in load ins and outs..)

And, on the subject of those all tube gtr amps....ask someone who plays one how often they have it re-tubed, re-biased, cleaned and maintained. And, how many times it has needed repair due to minor damage in transit (y'know, those gtr amps ALWAYS fall over in the van!) Well, if they are smart they probably dropped a good $500-700 on a road case for it...which takes me back to the 55lb 4 space rack I have for my tube stuff.

Max

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...sound cost $$$ my man, how good do ya wanna sound?...

~S~

PS: My old guitarist used VHT & Mesa all tube heads religiously for shows/tours that were reliable & of course well cared for without a ton of $$$ invested in maintainence...

20. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

O.K., along this line of thought, how about I offer what I've gleaned... And it's something that I've always said.... I'm almost sure that another post of mine from the past will echo the same sentiment.

Agreed... sound costs $$$, but above a certain lever of $$$, how much is the sound gonna improve that makes a $1500 737 and $2000 Hafler THAT much better than a $400 Alembic F1X a $400 QSC RMX?

Given that we're talking strictly live, be it church or club or wedding gig, with 50/50 odds that I'll get a line to the board, and regular in and out of the back of the SUV loading and unloading, is the investment in that kind of gear gonna get me THAT MUCH BETTER of a sound?

I'm getting the feeling that it's more an issue of vanity or pure ego that if I take the plunge I'll do so for those reasons and not because of the vastly superior tone I'll get.