1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you hire this drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by aprod, Mar 22, 2013.

1. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    The band auditioned a drummer last night. He has not played in a couple of years and was rusty to say the least. OK, I can appreciate that. At the end of the night he asks if he can leave his drums. What? So the story unfolds, he doesn't feel the need to practice. Says he can get in shape just doing gigs. I find that unacceptable. I put allot of time into my art and expect others to be dedicated as well. Come to find he lives with 10 people and can't set up his drums. He has no car but lives down the street from one of the guitar players. Also, no job. I say keep looking but we have gigs comin' up and need to fill the spot. I'm just the bassman so I don't get a real say in the matter.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How rusty? I mean, can he play?

3. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Yeah, he did ok. Tempo would speed up or slow down due to endurance issues. One thing is he sped up coming out of his rolls which could be a red flag.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Are you serious!!!??? You're actually considering this guy? He can CALL himself a drummer but that's as close as he'll get.

He's not that good, doesn't practice and has no transportation. What is the attraction? Is he good looking? He better be. Otherwise he wouldn't have anything else going for him.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not a chance.

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    how did he get his drums there to begin with?

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    He definitely sounds like a flake. The question becomes, are better flakes available?

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    See? I told you we agree sometimes.

I would raise your "Not a chance," with "are you kidding me? Are you playing? Are you trying to blow my mind? Hire this guy? This has got to be a joke! Hah! Good one!"

YIKES

Of course, any ONE of the things mentioned would've stopped me:

Leave his kit before we've made a decision?

Doesn't need to practice?

Those two are MINOR though, compared with this one:

(and I QUOTE)

"One thing is he sped up coming out of his rolls..."

No thank you. Do you see this? This is my door. Use it. Think of it as an exit. Do NOT, under any circumstances, think of it as an entrance, once you have left.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, here's the thing. Yes, I agree that a person like that being able to actually do the job is rare, but they do exist. One of the best drummers I have ever worked with (and I have played with dozens over the years) keeps a little Mazda in his garage just for his kit. It NEVER leaves that car unless he's going to a practice or a gig. And he doesn't gig all that often any more. But I have no problems whatsoever calling him for a gig and emailing him a set list. He shows up knowing the songs like he wrote them, and usually plays at least ten or so he's never played before, and swears up and down he never EVER takes his drums out of the car. His wife backs him up. But I'm sure after standing in front of him for a few songs, any of you would be more than comfortable with him at the sticks. He's a really good player with great feel and timing.

That's why I asked the question, "Can he play?" If he can, and can work out a way to get to the gig, then give it a shot. But, of course, later in the thread we got to the tempo issues. That's a deal breaker.

10. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I wouldn't hire him. I played with a drummer for two years that would come out of a roll too soon. It was so bad that you could see dancers getting back in sync. Not pretty. Sounds like he might turn into one of those 'put a roll in every measure' guys which drives me crazy as well. Another drummer I played with didn't have a car. That gets old real fast. I'd hold out.

11. Would not.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

No move, no job, no skill, no practice. Why would you even think of hiring him?
    We all know these guys. They played Ramones and Nirvana covers in a high school band 20 years ago, never pushed forward and think owning an instrument gives them the status of musician.

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Run screaming

14. Heh, the million dollar question.

15. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Do NOT let him leave his drums.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The instant I read the title of the thread I knew the answer wasn't going to be, "No."

It's, "HELL NO! Are you in outer space, or what?"

17. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    Doesn't seem like the best choice to me either. BUT...You do have gigs coming up. Possibly offer him ONE gig as a live tryout. And make it clear to him that this doesn't mean he's part of the band just yet. He may surprise you (and all of us)

18. Id say NO. But then again our drummer hitches a ride with me to rehearsals, but since he only lives 4 miles from me, its not a big deal....and hes facing a jail sentence for DUI #2 and assaulting a cop. So, um....disregard my opinion altogether. What do I know? lol.

19. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Meh. I base a cat on their reliability, personability and their enthusiasm. A lot of people have unfortunate circumstances from time to time. I cut a lot of slack to drummers. They've got to lug around an instrument that is bigger than some people's bathrooms and has more pieces than your average LEGO.

If he can play and he's keen I'd say accommodate him. He could end up being really appreciative and work harder for you.

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hah! Priceless.