1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you hold a bass for a year?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kittywithabanjo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I traded for a bass years ago that is great but no longer sees any action in my collection. I did a thread search here a year ago and found that the guy that I originally got it from was wishing he still had it. I PM'ed him and offered it up and he indicated he did want it but was cash strapped at the moment. It's about a year later now and I did check in with him in the summer and he has had a rough year and still has no funds which is fair enough..would you still hold on to the bass? I am not dying for cash or anything but just don't like it if anything is not getting used....Opinions?

Herrick likes this.
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You did give it a year. If you really want to sell it, maybe give him a last chance and say you are ready to sell and know he hasn't been able to buy it back but you want to give him one more opportunity - and put a time limit on it. Maybe a week? If he can find a way, then he can pay for it and you did your good deed. If not, you still did your good deed but you needed to move on.

Papalampraina, Dug2, grillman and 9 others like this.
  3. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Yeah that's sort of what I am thinking. He seems a nice guy going through a bad time and there is zero Ill will here.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I'd remind him and then proceed towards giving it the heave-ho.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You gave it (and him) a year. If it appears you'll keep it indefinitely, he has no real motive to come up with the funds.
    Put it up for sale, offer him first dibs (with a time limit), then sell free of guilt.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    So put the add up and then pm him giving the link to the add.

7. Yep, you've more than done your part. If it was really important to the guy, he would find the money. I don't know what kind of bass it is, but assuming it's less than $2k and that amount can't be found in 1+ years, you're doing him a favor by not selling it to him...in my opinion.

StrangerDanger and Sixgunn like this.
  8. Sell it with no guilt.

I'd pass this guy's phone number on to the future owner and leave it up to fate.

Oddly and SilGarzaJr like this.
  9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Dunno what sort of value that the bass in question has but if it's not silly money then just give him the bass for free and tell him to pass the favor forward when he gets the chance....

You'll create a little space in bass heaven just for you....:)

Andre678, S-Bigbottom, Oddly and 13 others like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

+1. If cash isn't the issue, and it really is a matter of it just not getting used more than anything else, then gifting it as suggested above is another option.

I don't know what bass you're talking about here. But if it's been sitting idle, it's not something you're likely going to miss. And if you're on the fence about continuing to hold it, I'm guessing it's not particularly valuable either.

Dunno. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I could afford to give a few instruments away. Which is one reason why my 'Fenders' are now Squiers, and my MIAs are in the hands of some deserving young musicians who I saw could benefit from the cachet of having a certain decal on their headstock.

And though I can't speak for everyone, I'll have to go with @Fat Freddy in saying there's an opportunity to do something rather fine here if you can afford and want to.

If not, no fault, no foul. Just do what you think best. As others have said, you've already waited a year. And you're under no obligation either way.

JRA, Farseer and Fat Freddy like this.
  11. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    +1. I would consider giving him the bass. Generosity is a virtue in short supply these days.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I've done similar things in the past, but I would never let it last a whole year.

At some point you have to say the guy must not really want it if he still hasn't found a way to buy it in such an extensive period of time.

You say it isn't hurting you any to hold it, but you still felt the need to start a thread about it. You must be thinking about it a decent amount, and it is essentially tied up money you could be putting elsewhere.

You have him a huge chance. Move on and sell it.

13. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    It's abut a 1500 dollar bass. I have given oler cabs away before and done financing for friends but this is a little more than I'd be comfortable with.

14. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have no debt but just sank about 7k into a pa so would like to increase the reserves.

el_Bajo_Verde and Fat Freddy like this.
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd go ahead and sell it.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    He's had a year. That's saving $125 a month. I've found that people always find money for things that they want bad enough. There are some basses I'd love to have back. Not so many I'd fork over $1500 to have back.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The prior owner has interest in it. You could ask him what he would be willing to pay, and make a decision from there. If he doesn't have enough to make it worth your while, put it on the market for a fair price - don't sell it and take a big hit.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Lots of ways to look at this. If he's genetically similar, and you might need a kidney, you could take that into account. You could also be nice and gift it to him, if you've got the financial wherewithall to do that. If you do want and need the cash, I don't think it's unfair to tell him it's up for sale, for x dollars, and you're letting him know, but you can't hold onto it any longer. Just be nice and upfront, and I think it'll be OK.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

That settles it then. Stop agonizing. Unload it and be done with it. :thumbsup:

20. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    If the guy really wanted it, he'd have it by now. Sell it!

Sixgunn and kittywithabanjo like this.