1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you hold a bass for a year?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kittywithabanjo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Gift it??? :roflmao: Sell it.

Sixgunn and kittywithabanjo like this.
  2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    What he said :thumbsup: ^^^

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

having had the occasional bad year or way bad year I get it. If you want to sell it either for the money or space you have no guilt. I would let him know that soon it will be on the market and ask very directly when he thinks he can come up with the money.

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If he hasn't been able to come up with $1500 over the past year, maybe he doesn't need to be buying a bass. I think you've more than fulfilled the moral nice guy obligation here, so go ahead and sell it.

Sixgunn, pbass2, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  5. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    +1

If you can't save $1500 in a year, you're better off not spending $1500 on a bass. You obviously have much more important things you are paying for.

6. Shuggy73

Shuggy73

Jul 29, 2015
    Kingston, NY
    Maybe he has something that he can add in as a partial trade that you can flip after the fact. Just taking the time to find and email him is way beyond enough on your part. Waiting for him for so long was very nice. I'd find out if he is REALLY interested in it and go from there. A deal should be able to be worked out if both sides want.

7. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    See if he has anything of value to offer you, then let him set up a "layaway plan." The fact that this is twinging at you shows what a decent person you are.
    I think giving him every chance will be to your karma benefit in the long run.
    Sometimes when people are down on their luck a small bit of fortune can change their life for the better.
    I think you're trying to do a great thing for someone. Good on you. :thumbsup:

8. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Lay the bass on some railroad tracks and send the guy a picture of it. If he doesn't respond immediately, sell the bass. Or, just wait for the train...........:woot:

Omega Monkey likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was in an almost identical situation (other than not lasting a year). @Dr. Cheese sold me a Roscoe Beck V at a good price. Months later he expressed an interest in buying it back if I ever sold it. When that time came I contacted him. We went back and forth a little (all good conversation) and in the end he was not in a position to get it back. After a fair period of time had passed I sold it. Doc and I remain cyber friends and he has moved on to his beloved DJ5. :D

You have been up front and gone above and beyond (with regard to the length of time) to be fair. Time to move on. If the guy gets mad it is his problem, not yours.

kittywithabanjo and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    A year was far more than generous. Sell it and think nothing of it.

PS - if you look at OP's trading profile to see who it was like I just did, I was the last transaction. It's not me. But I am bummed that I missed out on a Sadowsky Metro a few days ago.

11. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    The trade was from another site so will definitely not show here. Plus I used a different profile then too

12. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Yeah, I thought I was being 007 and figuring it out and then I saw my name. Heh. Still rocking the Sterling, BTW.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Adults learn not to cry over spilt milk. Just today I was planning to get a bass only to find that I have to shell out major dollars to the plumber or have no bath or shower. If that Carvin is around next week, I will buy it, if not, I will keep playing what I already own.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for putting bathing at the top of the priority list. :D

JES, Dr. Cheese and kittywithabanjo like this.
  15. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    How about this:

You pm the guy, and tell him you know he had interest in getting that bass back and things came up no fault no blame. You held on to it for a while, but it's really getting to be time for you to move it on, and that you're writing him out of a courtesy and just to make sure there's no bad feelings before you put it back out there.

That should help out the old conscience. If I was trying to buy back an old bass, I couldn't be mad at someone who did that.

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I thought this was one of those car contest questions like on Happy Days, only where you have to hold a Fodera in your hand for a year, and then you'll win it.

17. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    You could offer him a reasonable layaway plan if you wanted (like $100/month). Then as long as he keeps making payments, you hold onto it. Once he skips 2 payments in a row, you list it for sale and pay him back from the proceeds. If he declines that, go ahead and sell it guilt free whenever you feel like it.

One thing I DEFINITELY would not do is "gift" a bass to the person I bought it from, who already made money from it. You would essentially be giving him the bass twice. If it was a $200 bass and you really didn't care about it, I could maybe see that. But a $1500 bass? NFW.

18. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Squier - Maybe
    MIM - If it was beat up
    MIA - If he paid market value

19. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    If you sell it back to him at the same price, then you gave him a free loan. A pawnshop would have charged 30% interest.

kittywithabanjo and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    You said you aren't desperate to sell. Hold on to it and make someone's year.