Would you install a Hipshot Kickass bridge on a Fender AVRI '63 Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicG, Oct 27, 2017.

1. I love my Fender 63 Precision and Hipshot's Kickass bridge is well received among those who ride with high mass bridges; looks solid and refined. Wondering if I should try it on my 63...

2. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I wouldn’t bother with spending money on it. However, if it’s compatible with the current mounting holes, the only thing it’ll hurt is your wallet.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. Instruments are the sum of all parts. I have all sorts of parts for basses, some combinations work others don’t. I have one bass that a badassII bridge seemed to focus the midrange better, where on others it didn't make a bit of difference.

Honestly it probably won’t make a difference, but it will keep the saddles from moving over the stock bridge if that is an issue. I had a Schaller on a bass for years but recently changed back to stock and I couldn’t tell any difference.

I am no expert but I’ve had better experiences changing sound via different strings and pickups. You will get a better bang for your buck going that route. But if you want one then go for it.

Admiral Akbar and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Nope!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. I wouldn't install one on any bass.

ICM, Burwabit and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Unless you're having a problem with the bent plate stocker, there's no real reason to put on the Hipshot. GAS notwithstanding.

petrus61, ICM, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like the KickAss bridge. I have it installed on a couple of my personal basses. One thing that I wish it offered was a quick release option.

If you're interested in a high mass bridge, I'd recommend the Hipshot B with Fender mounting holes. High mass and quick release without having to mod the original holes.

8. I say no, but then again I believe that a bent plate with threaded saddles is the best bridge.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

On mine? No... On yours?

WWII Gremlin 2.jpg My gremlin friends say they'd be glad to do it for you...:cool:

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Absolutely NO!!!!

I dont think install the Hipshot kickass bridge on AVRi 63 P will get " Kickass P Vibe " !

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Datsgor

Datsgor

Jul 29, 2000
    No, I would not.

12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    No

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I've tried all kinds of aftermarket bridges on all kinds of basses and I honestly have never heard any difference. Earlier this year I put a BAIII on my Jazz, in lieu of the standard bent plate, but that was purely for aesthetics. Although, for some reason I was able to dial in a better set up on that bass with the new bridge. I'm still not sure why that is...

14. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No. The 63 is great as is. One of the best basses out there IMHO.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes I would. But I'm a fan of high-mass bridges in general, and I already have a Hipshot Kickass on one of my basses - it is an easy to install, drop-in replacement. Some like the stock Fender bridges - I do not. Whether or not high-mass bridges change the tone and/or sustain is subjective, however my primary objection to Fender stock bridges is that the saddles can (and do) move from side to side.

JaseyT likes this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    I would leave it alone. I used to think bridge mods were useful but now I don't see the point. I actually like Fenders better with the stock bridges these days.

Kmrumedy and SirMjac28 like this.
  17. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I love the HipShot KA so I would do it. I had one on a Jazz I used to own and thought it was great.

Spidey2112 and JaseyT like this.
  18. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I'd leave it as is.Part of the charm of the and sound '63 is the old school low tech bridge.Maybe build a hot rod p bass w/ all the cool parts.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have this issue with my previous mim jazz bass , but absolutely zero problem with Fender Vintage Threatsaddle bridge .

20. Theres a Babicz bridge that comes with a bend plate. It will look better and do the same job. That bass is a retro style. The kickass dont fit the look.

SirMjac28 and Joe Ty like this.