1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would you join a band which doesn't impress you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Oct 2, 2008.

1. i have been looking for a band for quite a while now. but i haven't even gone for a single audition/jam because i haven't been impressed by any one of them. they are all either too amateurish or send me really bad recordings etc etc.
    last week i got an email from another band, they sent me a bad rough recording which was a pita to hear but i got to know that we have same musical interests.i also found a couple of live videos clips of the band which were kinda boring and bad.

but at the same time however i know that these recordings are almost 18months old and the band claims to have come off a long way but hasn't recorded anything since their previous bass player left. i am thinking about giving it a shot, but how should i go about it if i see potential and talent in the band but they have a long way to go and are half realizing what they need to do next?
    on the other hand they play exactly the same kind of music i want to and i have been really been frustrated not playing in a band :confused:

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    No, but you havn't even jammed auditioned with them so you can't really judge them on some crappy old recordings.

It's a no brainer to get some first hand experience with a band before joining them.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If they have gigs booked and need a bass player... yea I'd do (and I have). But if they are just looking to put something together, then they'd better have a plan and a schedule and darn well know better how to meet the goals.

4. Most bands with crappy recordings will claim that they have improved.....if they even know they're crappy recordings in the first place. Only one way to find out, check 'em out.

If they don't sound good, just pass. I've had plenty of offers for crappy bands. I personally think they're a waste of time. You won't look good, so it's hard to build a reputation on a crappy band.

5. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Only one way of finding out, go and play with them. If they still suck, say no thanks and move on, life is too short to spend any of it in bands that suck. If the potential is there you have to ask them: what are their goals and plans - and if they have a schedule for getting the band in shape. If they say "geez, we haven't really thought about it" I'd say move on. And you have to ask yourself if you're willing to invest the time and effort for a band that may work. Or not.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    These days my philosophy is to avoid joining bands which don't impress my wife.

Thankfully, she has good taste in music.:D

7. I recommend going to auditions just for the experience. Yes, you do have to have some type of filter, but auditions help train you to learn songs quickly, and adapt to other players. All good skills for a musician.

Go for a few auditions. It is not like you have to join the band. You can always politely decline.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    money talks.... and pays the mortgage.

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 to giving it a shot. the odds are slim but they might actually have improved. although most of my bands make recordings fairly regularly so we have a benchmark. it's not hard to make a decent sounding recording these days.

but you'll never know until you try. if you're not into it, and they still want you, it's awkward. kinda like being hit on by a girl you have no interest in...you can see it in their eyes long before they pop the question.

and if you're desperate, well...sometimes you have to take what you can get.

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Go for it. In my experience the bands that are worth being in are the bands that are the best hang. Everything seems to just fall into place from there. It certainly can't hurt to give them the benefit of the doubt. It beats playing by yourself and gives you a chance to network if you decide you want to move on later.

KO

11. i have the songs prepared, going for the audition tomorrow. lets see how it goes

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    good luck

13. thanks.
    i have strange feelings about this, the band asked me to prepare three cover songs just like they are in the record and all three of them being very simple songs to play. readymade - rhcp, joker and the thief - wolfmother, the wicker man - iron maiden. i had never tried playing a maiden song before so this one took me a little while than usual but other too were damn easy.

i have never really looked for a band before, you know auditions and everything. please give me some tips on what to look for in a band?

14. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    No.

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    1. Look for people who aren't acting like jerks. Life is too short to play with jerks

2. Is the level of musicianship one that works for you?

3. Does the band play with dynamics? Do they listen to each other or are they each just playing to themselves?

4. How do they handle something new? After playing your 3 audition songs, suggest another simple song or a blues-type jam.

Good luck with this. And namaste.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Bingo. For a lucrative gig, I'd cry all the way to the bank.

17. Namaste
    thanks! :)

and btw, no money involved here as such, if we get gigs which pay later on then its a different scene

18. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good list. Personalities first, musicianship second. A bunch of great musicians that really don't gel doesn't make for a good band. Musicianship grows and changes at a much better rate than personalities do. Bands that get along last and grow. It gets discouraging to see your bands last less than a year before they break up.

If you don't hate the music and you like the people, it's worth a shot.

KO

19. tomorrows rehearsal has been canceled! they are planning to fire their drummer so now they don't have a practice place too, as yet they say soon something would be done about it :meh:
    on the good side this means that this would be a new band, i think the singer can sing so perhaps i can do some of my my own music and my drummer friend :)

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Never, if I cant dig the music I dont want to waste my time. Look at my 'Band with a guy from American Idol' thread.