1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you leave your band if.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mward69, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    So the band I am in now is good,{cover band} we play every weekend which is some what effecting my time with my son. Now.....the band I left is reforming, same situation....cover band and better song selection, here is the deli ma. My current band is tight, have a amazing vocalist with a really nice PA, he's a perfectionist as am I about playing tight. The other band only play about twice a month at best, we have to rent a PA. We had a great time when I played before, and I really like the guys. The band NOW I feel like a hired gun. The singer picks our songs and is WAY too serious about what we do. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about providing the best show I can, but YOU still have to have fun with it. It's more of a job than having a good time AND giving a great performance. So.....Stay or go????
    :meh:

2. Sometimes listing pros & cons for each side helps. Also, I tend to put family first- there's always another gig.

3. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Are you in it for the money or the enjoyment ?

Sounds like a easy decision to me..........

4. Answer that one question and you have your decision. Personally, I'd go back to the fun band and try to get them to invest in a PA and take it a little more seriously.

5. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    +1/2

Reserving the other half pending the answer of: "Why did the first band originally break up?"

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    BINGO.
    He'll remember your decision, they won't.

Take the fun one with more time for him.

My 2 cents with 2 children of 6:)eek: ) still at home.
    Waited until they are 15 and 16(the 2 here) to start gigging again.

7. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    this IS a dilemma: Being in a good, tight band vs. being in a sloppier band that has no equipment and perhaps won't be as big a success, yet is more comfortable and fun.

I hear ya. I've been there.

for me, it's about having a good time -- if someone is THAT controlling and that anal on the music and makes me feel like a hired gun, I'm outta there. Life is too short. I'm not in it for the money.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Exactly. Family first. Easy.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I think it's fun to make money doing what you love.

good luck!

10. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Yeah, I'm leaning HARD toward the other band. After this weekends gig. Sat. night, the PA tripped a breaker. We have a Peavey PA, the mid-high are 2 15s with horn, and the subs are peavey 18s. we have 4 monitors and the amps that drive them are old. My singer/leader/David Lee Roth wanna be, said we have to cut the Bass WAY down, that it was the reason the PA tripped out. Even though our drummer has an roland kit and every pad is plugged in the PA..NOw, by day I am an electrician.....and when the PA tripped the breaker, it also killed some stuff in the bars kitchen. Now I TRY to explain that he is NOT plugged into a dedicated circuit. but nooooooooo....It was my bass...lol so, I have made the decision to walk away as soon as they can get a replacement.
    Like being with a woman, I would rather be with an average one who is cool as can be, rather than one thats fine as can be and a total B**ch ;)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021