1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would YOU let another "musician" use your gear??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by realdeal, Aug 9, 2007.

1. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I guess this belongs in OT...
    I was "hired" recently to replace the bassist in a local
    perfomer's band- He's a very talented singer/guitarist- the music is not rocket-science; just good straight-ahead Blues covers. So much for the background.

We played on a week-night at an upscale-local club; the singer's idea was to perform there regularly- no guarantees.
    We play a set, and it's very good- audience almost non-existent, but the music was nice, so that's what mattered to me.

OK- Now-
    During break- a "guy" comes in and talks to the SInger- he says he has a band, his guitarist is there (with his guitar), and they want to audition a drummer for their engagement.
    Would it be OK if they played 2-3 songs. The Leader says sure, no prob.
    THEN-this "guy" says he's the bassist- Turns to me and says
    "It's OK if I use your bass isn't it?"
    I say No, it's not.
    He replies: "Are you serious?"
    I say: "Absolutely".
    He then states he'll go home to get his bass, to which I add,
    "Bring your amp, too!" He says" Are you serious?"
    I say--- Guess what?

NOW-After he leaves, the leader says:
    "You know he's the OWNER of the club?"

I reply- "I don't care if he's the owner of the city, Nobody uses my gear". End of story.

Next day- Guess what? I'm replaced! No big deal, low-paying gig, probably wouldn't have continued anyway...
    But-
    I'm interested- Lay it on me fellow bassists- Did I have a 'tude or as I feel, have every right to prevent someone ASSUMING they could play my instrument and through my rig??

For the record- he lived about 5 minutes away, came back with a nice bass and a SWR RedHead- He was an average, "OK" Bassist, no real chops, but that's neither here nor there...
    My feeling was/is that if he KNEW he needed to play- As any kind of professional, or even simply as a musician- You BEST bring your gear.
    It's not on my radar from any of my quite extensive experiences playing out to EVER let anyone (stranger that is)
    use my instrument and rig on stage.
    What do you think? I'm really curious.
    Thanks!

2. the olny people allowed to use my gear are Me,Chris,and Steve Harris

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I let a guy use my amp the other night. Wasn't too happy about it, but I didn't want to appear overly awkward. I'd be even less happy about someone using my bass, but I think it would probably depend on who it was.

If I agreed to lend someone my gear and I thought it was at risk while they were using (or abusing) it, I'd walk straight up and stop them, though.

I don't think you were wrong in what you did at all. It's your choice. And if the other guy didn't like your choice, then it's his choice if he wants to get another player. I hope you're not too upset about that. If you think you're right, then you're right on this one, and that's it.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Nope, nobody touches my gear. I simply explain that I do my best to take good care of it, and I just don't feel comfortable with somebody else using it.

5. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I've let the other guy use my amp, when we were the opener for them, and I've used another guy's amp when we got called up to play a couple of numbers, but around here people don't usually ask to play your bass. Bassists will share amps sometimes, but not basses. Same with guitarists, best I can tell. Drummers will share kits, though.

6. I don't mind letting people use my amps during shows and everything, but for some reason, when I see somebody else playing one of my basses, I get extremely mad and anxious. I just hate to see them playing my bass!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I usually stab people with whatever is handy to shift the focus off my gear.

Seriously, you were within your rights. I will let someone I know use my amp maybe. Never my bass.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I made the mistake of letting a guy use my bass during a show. He did some stupid Mark Hoppus jumping thing and smacked the headstock against the drummer's cymbal. Never again!

9. i agree with you 100,000,000 times man ....i dont let people play my bass/rig let alown use it live man you where in the right lol

10. NO!

I work too Hard for my gear.

Nuff Said

11. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    you were within your rights.

12. nipperooney

nipperooney

Jul 5, 2007
    We let another band use our gear once at a wedding we were playing. We just watched in horror for 3 minutes as 4 drunken blokes thrashed the bejeezus out of our gear. It's been band policy since to never again let anyone use our stuff, apart from maybe if a singer wants us to accompany them.

13. I loan out basses every once in a while. I trust the people that borrow them. I don't make a living with my gear and I get free lessons from the people that borrow my stuff.

14. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Amp, yes. I have a house band gig once a month at a local jam. I know most of the regulars so I leave my amp for the jammers but I only use one side of my amp 435W into an 800W cab. If it's just me I bridge it for 1100W

My bass, you better be a really good friend to even ask. But if I know and respect you, sure.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Depends. Usually not.

16. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks for your replies. For the record, even most of my non-musician friends thought I was right to deny anyone using my instrument.
    As for the amp- Generally I wouldn't mind as much, but even that is a concern, as I don't want to even be concerned about someone possibly blowing a speaker, etc.
    Being the Club Owner, I felt that this person was used to others giving in to his whims- He IS the boss- at the Club.
    Our "bandleader: seemed to be kissing his backside because he was interested in securing a regular engagement,which ironically, probably won't come- The place is geared towards a DJ, not a Blues band.
    Also- for the record- I did not hear the initial discussions, only the tail end when he asked (assumed) he could use my instrument. I didn't know he was (one of) the owners.
    But it honestly would not have made any difference at all to me. I was put off by both his and his guitarists seeming "disbelief" that I would deny his request..("Are you serious?") Their intonation is what lead me to tell him to bring his amp as well- which MIGHT have been a BIT over the top- but as I stated- I'm not at all comfortable with anyone else playing my bass; unless the player were known to me to be a consumate pro, and even then... A consumate pro would always have his own instrument available, ESPECIALLY when he arranged to play that evening!
    I generally never burn bridges, but I have to say, I told the leader that I thought he was a coward- Being "fired" had nothing to do with the music, as they had let me known on previous gigs, I was doing a great job- True!:D
    Interesting scenario, and I appreciate the feedback.

17. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Definately not when it's spur of the moment like that. And only my amp, because I know where it's settings are at. And I'd only do that for a friend. Never a Bass, I don't want someones fingers all over my strings.

18. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Let me expand on what uncle jam said:

HELL NO!

19. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    make sure you have an extra mic cover if you do that....don't want to be spreading those germs around via the mic.

20. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Back when I had my Peavey amp, I'd let just about anybody use that. It was old, it was a tank, I wasn't worried about it. When I got my GK rig, nobody touched that sucker but me.

As for my bass, I will only let other bassists I trust with my life (i.e. 2 people) use it. Lucky for me, most bassists around here are deterred by the fact my main bass is a sixer. :D