Would you listen to Mudvayne if not for Ryknow?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Onesidezero, Aug 13, 2002.

1. No! All that anger in the vocals makes my ears bleed.

11 vote(s)
  2. Yes! Anger makes me feel powerful.

16 vote(s)
  3. I don't listen to Mudvayne anyway.

34 vote(s)
  4. this is a useless poll please close it

4 vote(s)
  5. i like peas more than carrots

6 vote(s)
  1. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Yes, I know the subject of Ryknow has been beaten to death, but personally, I'm not really into the scream-rock thing, so if not for Ryknow....i'd probably HATE mudvayne. What about youse guys? :cool:
  2. Yes, however I don't know if anger makes me feel powerful. The drummer blows me away. Don't know s**t about drums, but he does some great stuff. I listened to them before I was "into" bass and I liked them then.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think that his playing in Mudvayne is extraordinary in any way, maybe his own stuff shows more.
  4. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i would say yes because their first album, kill i oughtta (re released as the beginning of all thingd to end), has their first bassist, Shawn Barclay, and i really like it. Not as much as their stuff with Ryan, but its still good.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He and the drummer are the only ones resembling "musicians" in that outfit, IMO.

Martinie overplays for sure but if he got with another band instead of "Insane Clown Posse/warmed-over KISS meets Static-X" maybe more people would appreciate him.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd love to hear him outside of Mudvayne.
  7. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Exactly, that's how I feel. Sure, he overplays...normally, that type of music is the root-bashing kind, but he definitely spices it up and locks in with the drummer very well.

Woodchuck, I'd love to hear him outside of Mudvayne too. I've heard he still does jazz sessions and whatnot - do you know of any other non-mudvayne recordings? :confused:
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ryan Martinie sets them apart for me. I like heavy music, but he's the standout, the thing that makes them different, IMO. So I guess I'd have to vote maybe. I don't get the anger thing though. Maybe the poll should just ask if we like the music w/o taking the bass into consideration, as that seems to be the question?
  9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Interesting. I can't see the connection for anything right now, so I eagerly await your evidence!
  10. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002

Me too! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  11. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    i don't like all the mindless screaming. how can someone scream that much for that long without losing their voice??
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's because they are, as SMASH has stated, agents for The Man.

stay tuned.
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
  14. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    the suspense is KILLING ME!!!!!!

oh and on topic, i don't like MuDvAyNe anyways...
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    no, if it were not for ryan martinie, i would not listen to mudvayne...not on a bus, not on a train, or a submarine for that matter...i would not listen to them sam i am...but, on the boat many times have i eaten green eggs....and green ham...and green everything else....except for the lettuce, and that was brown. i would like to see him in a setting other than mudvayne. awesome bassist for the genre, imo
  16. Idon't listen to mudvayne too much.. But from what I've heard I can only say that Ryknow is the member who makes that band sound special if not original. Maybe very few people would listen to mudvayne if that guy wasn't there cause mudvayne could not even be so succesful and famous.
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe I'm just missing the point.

First, the fact it's a video raises my eyebrow that it depicts reality. Apparently, none of Mudvayne's handlers tried to supress it or buy the tape before it could be duped.

Second, if I'm on tour, I'm not going to jeopardize the tour by doing my Johnny Rotten impersonation around the cops. Jail time just isn't a good career move these days.
    The tour money is typically a "loan" by the recording company which my band has to pay off, unless my band is a major, major, artist.

I've seen Ted Nugent pissing off the cops in person but he also knows when to duck for the sake of the band and the fans.

Not having seen the video, my comments are really just conjecture, though.
  18. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i find it amusing that ryan gives away the recipe to the steak and shake special sauce...maybe steak and shake has something to do with it
  19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Clearly, steak and shake sauce is AT THE HEART of why Mudvayne became undercover operatives for the CIA, NSA, FBI, QE2, and the Bush family reunion happy hour cable access show.
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mm hmm.....yep....that's what i was thinkin', as well. only one in league with THE MAN would know a secret like the steak and shake sauce, and then have the audacity to reveal their secret substance to all who might lend ear. or at least mislead those who may think that he is actually revealing the secret of the mystery spread found on steak and shake sandwiches, when in fact he is giving the chemical make-up of a secret mind control solution so as to make it easy for THE MAN to subdue the population of the world. hmmm