Would you make the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    A guitar playing co worker of mine has a Japanese Fire Glo rickenbacker copy bass that she bought years ago but has not played in a while. She wants to sel it to me for $300 and if I dont buy it she is going to trade it in on Fender Telecaster. She trusts me enough that she let me take it home and play it in my bass amp. When she bought it the previous owners had put an actul Rickenbacker truss rod cover on it and so it like a real Ric except that the neck plate says made in Japan. I like the way it feels and sounds. But I dont know if $300 is good for something thats not a real Ric. If it were a real ric I would have done it in 5 seconds. One other thing is that a real Ric is out of my budget at this time and I have always wanted a Ric. I have to either take the payment to work on Monday or take the bass back. Would bring the cash in on Monday or take the bass into work on Monday if you were me?
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

yes. get it. the japanese copies turn out to be gold sometimes. if you like it get it. the deal is pretty sweet.
  3. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    If you really like it and it sounds and feels good, I would buy it. I'm not sure I'd trade a Tele for it though.
  4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    You like the way it feels and sounds... sounds like 2 possitives to me. I have no idea if you'ld get your money back out of it should you decide you want to.
  5. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    No, if I dont buy it from her she is taking it to Guitar Center and trading it for a Tele.
  6. Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    Go for it.Here's my two Univox's.This is an older pic but the Maple is now armed with Barts & Grover tuners,the sunburst is at present getting Seymour Duncans and a new chrome Hipshot bridge.They both play and sound great and granted they are not Ric's but with them being MIJ I can afford to hotrod them !;)
  7. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    guitar center?! :( nooooo.. I love Rics, I'd get it.
  8. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    One thing that was strange about this Ric copy is that there is wood on the pick up. Its the casing that goes over the pick up bobbins and its where the pole pieces protrude. Know what I mean? Is this normal or is something wrong with it?
  9. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Based on what you guys have said and some deep hard thought I just cant let this one go. I have fallen for this Ric copy. I'm going to take the 300 bucks to work with me on Monday and not the bass. This baby is home. Thanks for your comments without them I would have probably returned the bass and let her taken it to GC to trade it in. Either way she gets the Tele.
  10. You lucky dog. I'd sell my soul for a Rickenbacker. But since that's a copy, I suppose I could just beg my parents to loan me $300. And hey, if it doesn't turn out to be so good, I'm sure you could find a way to fix it up.

Yes, that is how I see the world. If you've got the time and the parts, you can make anything. ANYTHING!!!
  11. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I just got a call from my co worker asking me how I like the bass and I asked her if I could buy it tomorrow and she agreed. So we are going to meet up tomorrow and I am going to make the Ric mine. It is a copy but it sounds almost as good. I cant wait becuse for the first time I had cliff Burton's tone on "Pulling Teeth" when I had the Wah and distortion plugged in. I am so excited I dont know if I will be able to sleep tonight.
  12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sleep is unnecessary at a time like:hyper: this...