Would you miss your G?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by purple_haze, Apr 29, 2002.

1. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I ask because I had a brief recent flirtation with BEAD (low to high) tuning. I'm interested in a Five string, but haven't the money right now, plus I like the feel of a 4 string Precision neck.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't miss my upper register much at all. I realise that G string notes duplicated on the D would sound soft and tubey played higher up, but with some careful EQ settings and plucking closer to the bridge, I got a much...meatier sound than I ever got out of my G. I also found it gave a good deal of practice to find the same notes in different places on the fingerboard.

And of course, I had fun playing with a low B.

I changed back yesterday ('twas but an experiment) but I'm seriously considering going permanent with this setup.

Does anybody else do this? And if so, do you miss your high register?

Or, is tehre anyone out there who thinks they couldn't lice without their G?
  2. Buy a decent four and string it EADG. Use your current bass as BEAD, and maybe drop some aftermarket pickups in it.

Then, downtune your BEAD to ADGC!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Definitely - lice and dice, with your G string!! ;)

Seriously I use my G string for loads - most of my soloing is done on this! And how about the pops in slap/pop and two note chords on D and G?

I used to think that I needed a 6-string for soloing, but with a 24 fret neck and a G string I found I don't miss the C, but I definitely need all the other 5!
  4. Yup, I'd miss it all right.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I wouldn't miss my B string, if anything else. That's why occasionally I drop it and tune EADGC.
  6. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd really miss my G, i live on it at times.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i wouldn't ever play a 4 strung BEAD, but on the common instance where i pop my G, i can still get around the bass with relative smoothness.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Been there, done that. Tune GCGC.
  9. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've flirted with the idea of doing this with one of my 4 string fretless basses so I can play "Sledgehammer" properly (by properly I mean with a fretless like the original recording). I don't really have any strong desire to have a 5 string fretless, and since I have 2 4 string fretless basses I figure it might be interesting to do. However, the bass I'd do this to has a 2-Tek bridge and I'm not sure that the B string would fit through the hole that the E currently resides in.
  10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    That would be a doublestop,not a chord.;)
  11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I love g-strings!
    (more ways than one)

Where would we be without g-strings? ;)
    (my dirty little mind)

seriously though, I couldn't do without the g-string. It makes solos what they are.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Can't live without tha G. Or any of the others. Matter of fact, make it five or six!:)
  13. The G string on my Rick sounds just as good as the other three... I would definitely miss it.

14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I would definatley miss my G string. I always said I would use a high C more than a low B.
  15. I've always thought about going BEAD as well, just to get around the guitarists and their beloved drop D tuning. I think I could probably live without my G, but I might be wrong. I'll probably just save and get a 5-string.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes i would, obviously. :D
  17. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my bass would sure look awfully snaggletoothed without a g string...a lot like some of my south carolina kinfolk... :D
  18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
  19. Yeah, I'd miss my G. I've got one of mine tuned to BEAD, and I hardly ever play it. I'm just too lazy to go out and buy a new set of strings. I use my G too much. Sure I could duplicate the notes on the D, but what about when I'm playing two or more notes at a time? Huh, what would substitute the note I'm playing on D? Tell me that!!

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Yup, I certainly would. I use it quite a bit when chording.