Would you modify a bass played by one of your idols?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by streetknight, Oct 20, 2011.

1. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    I'm having a hard time on deciding what to do here. I recently purchased one of 2 custom Dean Hard Tail bass that were made for my idol, Dug Pinnick of King's X. I bought the bass directly from Dug who included some nice case candy and autographed it for me.

My original plan was to just hang it on the wall, cause Dug is left handed and I'm right handed, so unless I take it to my luthier and have him put a different nut, restring, the whole nine to play it "hendrix" style, It has to just sit. Which it looks cool hanging there, but I always wanna grab it. :confused:

2. gnjpowell

gnjpowell Inactive

Nov 12, 2010
    Concord, NH
    Bass & guitar tech, FOH sound, backline rentals
    No, don't do it! Strictly IMHO

3. A couple of my young students (brothers) got to meet ZZ Top backstage and happened to bring along their Fender Strat and Precision instruments. They got all three to autograph both instruments on the front with a silver Sharpie. It looked really cool.

Then they started bringing the instruments over for lessons. I could see the autographs were already starting to wear off slightly.

I advised mom and dad to put the instruments on display and not let the kids play them (both students had alternate instruments that were just as good).

4. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    A new nut and move the bridge saddles around is not a big deal. How could you not play it :D

5. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking, I wouldn't gig with it, so no need to put an extra strap button on, I've had it a while and it just sits there lol

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Play it like a rock star man!

7. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Do it!

8. Bockcar 77

Bockcar 77

Dec 25, 2010
    Just learn to play it left handed I’m left handed and trying to learn to play right.

9. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Hah. I'll modify anything I own to any extent that I feel like at any time! But I have to admit, it does hurt the resale value. I don't usually feel like modifying anything I think I might sell later. Funny, that.

10. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The first rule of collecting is don't change anything. The second rule is like unto it, don't use anything. If you view this as a collectible then don't do anything but display it. If you view it as a bass then do anything you like. Just keep in mind if it later turns out that others view it as a collectible and you did anything to it you will hate yourself for it because you will have dumped all the collector value it would have had.

Ken

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Why not buy another and mod that one?

12. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    There were only 2 built in the whole world, he has one and I have the other.

13. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    If you change or move anything, just keep whatever is removed. Don't throw any of it away. That is my advice. Don't let the autograph tarnish either.

I watched recently the episode of That Metal Show with Pinick and Tom Morello. It was a good one.

14. No pics no bass!

15. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    IMAG0255.jpg

16. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    i saw that on ebay, was real tempted. making it a righty with a new nut and strap button wouldnt be too big of a deal. i would sure as hell want to play if i had bought it.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Dude, stringing it upside down is hardly a "mod." If you don't put on a new nut and play it, then you are wasting the bass. A totally pathetic end to a bass owned by one of your idols.

18. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Dude! I wouldn't dare! It's a display piece.

19. I wouldn't due to where the autograph is. It is right where your arm would rest or often touch. Plus, it would be upside down. I say leave it as a display piece.

20. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Lock it up and don't touch it.

Buy a player.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021