Would you overpay for a bass if it stood out to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Sanford, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Consider this a hypothetical question. You walk into your local shop and they have a beater. Missing pickguard, stripped out screw holes, surface rust on the hardware, knicks, dents and scratches. The works. But it plays well. It's not "the one", but it plays damn well. Well enough that you have trouble putting it down. The instrument is marked well above market value, but within your financial reach. They will not budge. It has no vintage value and you don't care about "mojo". Maybe it's a beat 198? MIJ Fender for $900. Maybe it's a Rickenbacker copy for $1500. Maybe it's a late model Mexican Fender for $500. Do you buy it or wait until a better example comes along that is priced according to the sum of it's parts?

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I would only over pay for something that was unique.

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I payed $1050 for an MIA Jazz, $460 for a Warmoth body and maybe $100 for other parts. I then sold the Fender body for $300. So I spent $1310 on my bass and it has NO resale value. But it's the best playing and looking bass I've ever seen. My absolute dream bass that I will never sell. So the overpaying doesn't matter to me.

4. Yes. I'd much rather pay above market value for a bass that I play than market or below for a bass that I have no interest in playing.

5. Never overpay no matter how much I like. Most will budge to IME. When I go into a shop I know everything is way marked up so I generally offer 25% to 30% less of there BS retail price and most of the time it works out, if not I will go to another sales person or just go straight to the sales manager or go somewhere else.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    THat's a spurious argument to me. If the bass speaks to me, and fills a niche I have a need for, then the price is either what I have to pay, or it's not going to be my bass. I've got about four basses that I'd pay over market value for them. But it's those SPECIFIC basses, not something else "just like" them.

The factors you listed ("pickguard, stripped out screw holes, surface rust on the hardware, knicks, dents and scratches" are cosmetic factors only and have nothing to do with sound nor playability.

"But it plays well." So? Most decent instruments play well, or can be made to play well if you know how to do a proper set-up. Maybe not great, but well.

"It's not "the one", but it plays damn well. Well enough that you have trouble putting it down." No bass has ever done that for me. The key factor is NOT how well it plays, it's how does it SOUND?! It's a musical isntrument, therefore its function is to make good sounds. If it ain't doing that, it could be the best playing instrument in the world and I wouldn't care at all.

As I said, no bass has ever attracted me by playabiltiy, but there are a few that have gotten me hooked by the inherent sound of the instrument (and the electronics are NOT the instrument).

jte

7. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    only bass I would over pay for is a dargie delight sterling H/S

8. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I think I would cowl in a corner as its very uncommon for an inanimate object to stand up before you.

But I have payed a lot for some nice basses in the past.

9. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
  10. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i overpaid (well, over-traded) for one of my sterlings. it was brand new & in good condition but pretty overpriced. but it played great and is pretty much my go to bass now. its beat up and played and worth every penny i over-traded for it

11. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    if it were something I REALLY wanted and have been wanting for a while and knew it would be a long time before I saw another one, I'd do it.

12. No. I'd rather have something that meets my needs at a price I can really afford. if its not a collectable and they think that highly of it (especially considering the condition) then they can just keep it.

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    If you're not planning to sell it, the only number that has any relevance is what it's worth *to you.* It's market value doesn't matter except perhaps as a starting point. Not that you should overpay for no reason, but if my MTD Kingston were stolen or some contrivance, I would pay double its market value to get it back. Same with my #1 Strat, or my custom Taylor, because I would never sell those. However, to answer your question, if a bass just plays "pretty damn well" but isn't the one, no, I wouldn't pay above market value for it. I tend to only buy instruments when I'm getting a good deal if they're not "the one," so personally, I wouldn't even pay market value for it.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Typically, I try to buy gear at below market value or average street price.

That said, if something totally blew me out of my combat boots, I'd give it some consideration if it was priced above market value. It would have to be one SUPER spectacular playing and sounding bass, as in "the one". No way in hell I'm paying over market value for "pretty darned good". It's going to have to be spectacular.

15. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Plus ten gazillion :)

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    NO!

17. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    +1000 for the above quote.

So ARE you getting what you're paying for? Looks are not what sells me as much as the sound does either. I play at least ten guitars before buying one when I'm in the market for one. And they all sound different when being played through the same amp and same settings.

:ninja:

18. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA

Good point....

19. Nope, but I've been tempted to in the past.:smug:

20. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    hell nah, wait

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021