1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you pay $29,500 for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I sure as heck wouldn't

I mean c'mon. I understand intrinsic value but $29,500 for a beat up piece of wood with some electronics? You have got to be kidding me. It's not even mint. Way more than my car :meh:

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If I were buying a vintage bass (I wouldn't, but if I did) I would honestly prefer a road warrior to something untouched. That way I can be pretty sure it's a player and not a lemon; you wouldn't gig a lemon for 40 years.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Sure.

If I had $29500 that I didn't need for anything else. Why not? Provided it was a very early 100% original Fender.

Under $30k for a rare piece of musical history is not that big a price to pay considering '58-'60 burst Les Paul guitars are now approaching $500,000 and early '50's Broadcasters/early Strats are in the $100,000 range.

It is all relative. $30,000 to you or I likely is a lot of cash compared to multi-millionaires with lots of disposal income.

4. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    No.

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Good point.
    I had no idea 50s/60s guitars were in the 6 figures. I figured maybe $10k would be a cap on any of this stuff. Wow. :confused: A better investment than my mutual funds.. too bad I wasn't alive in 1963 and my parents aren't musicians!

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Right now as a college student? No way.

If I become a hedge fund manager making $500 million + a year... why not?

7. I could understand the hype if the older basses were significantly different than they are today. Like a vintage antique car. But a bass?

8. Nope... I'd never be tempted to commit that kind of money to an instrument.. even if I had plenty of disposable cash to fall back on.

9. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would providing that it was appraised by a reputable company or person first and being proven that it is worth at least that

10. Call it what you want, it's still an old used instrument. To answer the question, no I wouldn't spend that kind of cash on an old bass.

11. psh, if it's vintage fender ANYTHING...my ex-guitarist would pawn off both his testes and his mother to get it.

Vintage is some people's thing, but I neither have the money or drive to pay that for it so it's really not my cup of tea =/

12. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Rather take that and invest in a good violin or trombone.

13. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    nope.

I played some vintage fenders for the first time today and honestly not one of them was ANY better than my Hoppus sig.

14. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    At least its free shipping in the US:D

15. I'd pay $30k for a [very nice] boutique bass, but there's no reason to dwell on the past. (Which is what I personally think buying vintage instruments is doing.)

16. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    If it was a stacked knob 1960 Jazz Bass and I had this kind of money, hell yeah. Way more dividends than your savings account. That's for sure.

17. wouldnt dream of pay that, for a bass vintage dont do it for me i played a 73 p bass (yeah i know they have come back into popularity)and a '73 fretless and they where nice, but not worth the 800 quid he payed for each of them ($1600)

18. Hope sells it so I can put mine up for a measly $25,000 - let me see what kind of toys could I get with that??

Or he just has it priced so high - because he knows he loves it and figures the odds are pretty high of someone giving him that price. : )

19. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Not only that but . . .
    . . . you'd think the cheap SOB would throw in that POS amp too~!

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    According to the 2007 Census, there are 47,000 Americans with a net worth over 20 million dollars. Many of those have hundreds, if not thousands times that much money. They not only own rare instruments, they own us. :atoz: