1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you pay $3,000 for this Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FrenchAK, Dec 7, 2011.

1. This Craigslist ad struck me as a bit odd. It's certainly not something you see every day, and I want to know what you all think. No hate here (from me at least), just, you know... curious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• $3,000, "appraised at twice that"
    • PJ pickups
    • Three necks with some sort of quick-switch system

Original ad here.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    No... If im getting a rick its because of those amazing toaster pickups.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    No way! I can go get a fender p/j bass for under a grand.... If I'm gonna shell out any money on a rickenbacker, I'd want those ric pickups!... And $3000 is crazy high for that, besides, nothing is rickenbacker about it except the shape.

4. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    A Ric is worth saving up for, but the one pictured is not worth what they're asking. The fretboard looks to be replaced, there is routing around the bridge area, the original pickups are gone, and there is too much routing going on everywhere. It actually hurts me to look at that...

5. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Nope, not even with two extra necks.

6. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Wait...did I see that correctly?!?! THREE necks with some sort of switching system? Someones head should roll fir that!

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Those aren't 3 necks. One neck, 3 fretboards. Held in place with magnets, only takes a few seconds to swap out.

8. So, modified...

Stock it's not worth that.

There's a lot of crack out there being smoked on a daily basis.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Oh, it's not worth that at all. If it were mint with the fretboard swap thing it might be worth a little more than a stock used ric to the right buyer, but they've ruined it with the routing and the gaping hole.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Only thing that makes sence to me is he ment to sell it for $300 and he hit the extra 0 by mistake. I would love to give it a good home and nurse it back to health, but waaaaaayyyyy to rich for my blood!!!

11. For 3 grand I'd just buy one of those sweet late 70s Rics that have been floating around the classifieds and have a grand left over!

12. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    Yeah $300 maybe - but $3000, not in a million years! It's clearly been modded and modded in such a way that does not add any value. You could just about purchase two new stock 4003's for that.

13. No.... but I would totally pay $6000!

What a bargain! It looks like the greatest bass evar!

14. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    In fact, I might go so far as to question whether or not there are ANY original Rickenbacker parts on it. For all we can tell from the photos, even the body could be a knock off. At minimum, the fretboard has probably been replaced, the body routed for different pickups and bridge, and a new pick guard was cut for new wiring. If the seller can't show an authentic jack plate and truss rod cover, I'd doubt the bass is worth even $300.

15. I think he should try and fit as many different pickups in there as possible. Maybe he can make it worth $3000 if he rams $3000 worth of pickups in. :bag:

16. I wouldn't even pay $300.
    Buying it would only serve to encourage an idiot to carve up more perfectly good instruments and turn them into crap.

17. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    $3K? Completely laughable. CL makes me puke sometimes.

For your amusement, a translation of the ad from "Craigslistese" into standard English.

"Heya, I have an amazing one of a kind 1980 Rickenbacher 4001 series bass guitar."

Translation: "I'm so full of s**t that I can't even spell "RickenbacKer" correctly

"It was appraised years ago for 5-6k."

Translation : "I asked my cat, Muffy, what she thought."

It is in excellent shape...

Translation : "Well, nominally, it is shaped like a Rickenbacker. Excellent!!"

.. with many "custom" items from the time: Grover tuners, Seymore Duncan active electronic pickups, Hipshot drop D tuner, rewired electronics and last but not least an extinct California Switchblades neck board.

Translation : "Can't spell 'Seymour' either, even when it is right in front of me. I am also unsure of the meaning of 'extinct'."

I don't want to sell this heirloom, but financial stuff needs to be taken care of first. $3000 cash takes it TODAY.

Translation : "If I left this 'heirloom' to my kids, they'd put me in the worst nursing home they could find."

This bass is worth twice that amount...

Translation : "If priced in 1923 Weimar deustchmarks."

Email if serious and interested only.

Translation : "Email only if intoxicated and/or delusional."

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Hilarious, thanks for the morning laugh.

19. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    no.

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No reputable dealer would have appraised that for for $6000. Rics in mint/original condition can go for big bucks, but the market heavily punishes modded ones. The bridge route and the added holes for that bridge pup make those mods irreversible. Add to that, the deal with the fretboard. What the heck is that all about? You're looking at a $400 bass with lots of restoration ahead of you.