Would you play a line that somebody wrote for you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, May 29, 2012.

1. I am going to be working with a songwriter from an old band since his band and mine sort of fell apart. We will be forming a new band with members of both and a new drummer.

We both had some songs recorded by the same producer who is also a whiz at bass.

The songwriter from the old band is an awesome songwriter and the producer is as well. They didn't have a bassist, so the two of them wrote all the tracks, and they are pretty tasty. I'm not sure I could come up with better lines.

I was just curious if you guys would play the ones somebody else wrote, or try to come up with your own?

Here are the songs in question: http://www.reverbnation.com/seamlessofficial

2. Those are instrumental now, but we will add vocals.

3. If they sound good, sure!

4. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    Definitely, if: 1. the person in charge asked me to, or 2. It was a great line. And I have many times.

5. sayman

sayman

Dec 14, 2009
    +1.

You could try playing them your own alternates, perhaps.

My own outlook is to play whatever makes the whole band sound good. Just my opinion, of course.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Would you play a line that somebody wrote for you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was good ... ya ...

If it was just a control freak manipulating me ... No ...

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Definitely. Actually, two of the basslines for songs with my current band were written by my singer before I joined the band. I've changed them around a little, but they're still (for the most part) his lines. They sounded good, so I figured 'why not'?

8. That's my thinking on all of this. The previous lines are great, and he is a better songwriter than me by miles. I just got a weird feeling about it. Something nagging me about artistic integrity.

I guess I should learn better songwriting and use the best lines (his and mine) to fit the song.

9. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I would do what Anthony Jackson does.......Reinterpret the sections YOU think you have a better line for. Add your own stamp to the songs so you will have that sense of artistic integrity every time you hear/play that little fill or change you made. If the lines are already good then groove your ass off to make them FEEL even better. Step up and voice your opinions on song structure/arrangements and especially dynamics. Make yourself indispensable to the project.

oh yeah.....HAVE FUN!

10. You do NOT lose any artistic integrity by playing bass lines written by someone else. That's my opinion. a) if it works for the song; b) you can't write something that works MORE for the song; c) you were hired to do so; I would play it the way it was written.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd play whatever they want to pay me to play.

12. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Look at it this way: If you went to see a famous band that for whatever reason had replaced the bass player, would you like hearing them playing a different bassline to a song that you are accustomed hearing played?

Unless you really think you can improve it, leave it alone and learn how to play it as written. :cool:

13. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    If you cannot put up something better than his line, then you should play his line. Your job is to make the band sound great, not to prove anything.

14. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    if it fits it fits

15. BeSharp

BeSharp

May 17, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    If I was hired to play what was written then that's what I'd do. We get arrangements from out of town Music Directors for touring acts that we'll be backing up. We are expected to perform the tunes as written. I don't see how that's any different from being hired to play for a new act or a new songwriter.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm a bass player, not a composer. A large part of being a musician is playing music.

17. I was l the last one to join my current band. They had 3-4 songs written when I joined, one song had a bass line written already by the guitarist. It sounded good and was fun to play so no need to change it.

In our band we all write and have ideas and we speak them to each other, I have come up with guitar parts and drum parts and if it works we use it. So playing something written by someone else not a huge problem for me. But don't let anyone take all of your fun.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Play it as is unless it sucks.

19. I welcome any good line, mine or yours - whichever is better wins

20. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    add some fuzz to it

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021