1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you play with a 212 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RayO5421, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I would rock a 212

204 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. Your mom plays a 212

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Stick to 10s or 15s

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Dont be cheap! Buy a 212 and a 210! Best of both worlds.

24 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hey all,
    Just wondering about 212 speakers. I seem to get mixed feelings about them and was wondering what you feel about them. Incase your wondering (or may have already guessed) I'm asking about the Avatar 212 cabinets.

I've heard 12s are more for guitar and that I would do better with 10s or 15s. Then again, I read a bunch of harmony central reveiws that the cabs sound great so I'm not quite sure what to think.

I deffinately heard a difference when I played between 10s and 15s (I was playing with a Peavey Tour 450 which I'm pretty positive I'll be buying). My combo I have now has a 12 inch speaker which sounds decent but then again, thats not the same head or bass I played in the music store.

Would you rock a 212? Please share your thoughts, I'm new to amp stuff and want my first rig to big decent and last a long while.

Peace and love everyone,
    Ryan

2. in short i would rock a 12 or 4 i like them.

the are deep but punchy

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IME, 12's are not as deep as 15's. They behave more like 10's but are deeper. If you are a fan of 10's but do not find them deep enough(especially if you play with a low B string), 12's should be perfect for you.

Of course, this is a very broad generalization as there are 10's that go plenty deep, but you get the picture. 12's rule and they are here to stay.

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Sorry , i only use 812's

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Twelves are my favorite. ;)

Liam

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Aug 8, 2002
    North of GTA, ON, Canada
    Long&McQuade Employee
    My Genz Benz Neox 212 has all the bottom of my previous Peavey 115 but has clarity and punch now too.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I voted yes because I am happy with my 1x12, and if I needed more sound, I wouldn't hesitate to stack two of them.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Acct Serv. Man.: Long & McQuade; MTD Kingston Basses Intl Emerging Artist; Bartolini Emerging Artist
    2x12 is my workhorse rig...I have a couple of 2x10s I've used with it on occassion as well, but I'd love to get a matching 2x12 for it! It's a one of a kind a friend built for me though, he's not likely to to build another one...

9. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    I have a set of avatars- 1 4x10 and 1 2x12. They both rock. I use the 2x12 by otself often. Together they're a war machine!

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    All of my current cabs are 12s.

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Everything I own is a twelve or a fifteen. My most-used cab is a Dr. Bass 2260 with 2x12, plus a mid-range driver and a tweet. Great cab for the money, and it's portable!

That being said, I've been thinking a lot about Phil Jones cabs lately and the drivers he uses are some of the smallest I've ever seen used in a bass cab. Who knows, maybe old dogs can learn new tricks;)

12. Wonder

Wonder

Dec 18, 2005
    My rig is 2x10 AND a Bergie 2x12 and it SINGS. :smug:

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Bergantino HT212 is one of the nicest cabs I've played. The Berg IP212 (powered version) is no doubt even better!

14. Nothing bigger than 12's, stack them, if they present the B why go bigger for resp, if you need to move more air, use more 12's. Speed, not mud. Don't have them but always impressed by Aguilar GS112's

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I own an Avatar B212 [i forget which speakers it has in it-i bought it in 2002 or 2003]. I played through it for i think my junior & senior years of high school. If it wasn't so huge/heavy-i'd take it with me to school. The sound was great-i greatly prefer it to my SWR WM12. The reason why i don't play through it much? I need as small and as light as possible as i don't have a car at school & it would be total overkill.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Same here, have a 212 and a 412. I really have no desire to use anything but 12s at this point.

17. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    All 12's for me.
    Genz Benz Neox 212T is the gig cab .... it kills.
    Avatar Neo 212 parked at a practice space .. great cab for the $.
    Older Genz Benz 112T used for home and small jams.
    Put my GBE600 on top of any of them and they rock.

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i currently play an Aguilar GS212. so yes i play one.

19. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    I want a GK NEO212 or NEO212 combo really bad!!!! It will be mine... it will..

20. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've been playing with an Epi 2x12 in my rig as my main cab for 5-6 years now. It kicks...

Mike

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021