Would you pull the trigger on this trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syndroam, May 27, 2017.

1. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    I have a Fender 50's precision MIM bass with a seymour duncan spb-1 installed that I bought last year second hand. The bass is in mint condition, I just never got used to it. My favourite bass at the moment is my 62RI Jazz bass. So this guy is offering a trade for my 50's pbass, a 1992 62RI Jazz bass USA Fretless in a beautiful sunburst finish (the one that I currently own is black). I really love the 62RI but I have not played fretless ever, though I planned to try sometime. My first question is:
    1) I can't find any info if fender used to make the 62RI fretless or is this a modification of the previous owner? I asked for more pictures of the back of the bass.
    2) Will a transition to fretless be a big problem for me? I have a good ear but it is unlined and I can't see if there are any side dots either. If I don't manage to play fretless how much will a luthier ask me to make it a fretted?
    I have 2 more fretted quality instruments (musicman, warwick). I feel like I am getting a better quality instrument here. What would you do?

1.png
    rc5u9v.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. That's sounds like a win win! You have the opportunity to trade for a bass you know you like but...different.

I would encourage you not to be intimidated by the Fretless aspect, in fact, be excited! There will be side marker dots where the actual frets would be which makes the transition easier. I don't think lined Fretless basses are any easier unless you are bending your neck to see the top of the fingerboard. Plus, the look of an unlined board is classy. Those vintage reissues are solid basses and I am sure other TBers will chime in to concur.

Fretless basses are just plain fun. My experience is that there is a transition but it is an enjoyable one. It could even breath some new energy into your playing.

Go for it my low end friend and let us know how the journey goes!

3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    The question is why Wouldn't you make that trade?

4. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    I am concerned that I won't be able to manage the fretless...
    Also I have another inner conflict on whether i MUST have a Pbass in my collection.

5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I don't know the values of either bass but swapping a MIM for a USA sounds good to me. If you haven't bonded with your P bass then why keep it.

If you have a good ear you should soon be playing with moderate intonation, good intonation comes with practice, perfect intonation with lots of practice.

I bought a fretless J clone on a whim, 3 weeks later I was playing gigs with it. My intonation was good enough that none of the other 3 band members noticed I had swapped to fretless (but I knew it needed a lot of work).

JGbassman likes this.
  6. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    No, I have not bonded with the particular pbass and I think I never will. I haven't blacklisted the pbass in general, I think it sounds great. It's just that the last 2 years jazz basses are all I like to see and play.

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Call Fender, with serial number...

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    That doesn't really help since the serial number is stamped on the neck, not the body.

The reality is someone could have taken the neck off or any Fender bass and shoehorned it into the body.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Coffee... need more... thanks! How 'bout this...

... call Fender. Better?

bararan, BrentSimons and Dean N like this.
  10. Worst case scenario, if you can't stand the fretless, get another fretted neck and switch back and forth. I have a jazz parts bass I flip between using a precision neck and a squier fretless.

I can usually change the neck and set the intonation and action in about 15 minutes or less.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That seems like a decent trade to me. Caveat: I'm not you, though.

twinjet likes this.
  12. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Fender didn't make a fretless jazz in 62, so the whole "reissue" part doesn't add up. It's probably got an aftermarket neck. Do the trade anyway; fretlesses are great.

13. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    If you get it, and don't care for it, I would not install frets.

14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    While owning a fretless wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, it just wouldn't jive with any of the projects I have at the moment; therefore, it would collect more dust than any fretted bass. You could get it and swap out the neck, but you could also do that with your current bass. Anyhoo... to answer your question, no, I would not pull the trigger.

15. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    Why would you keep a bass you "never got used to"? Make the trade unlined fretless is the way to go and if you don't use to it, sell, trade or buy a second neck for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    AngelsBassBall likes this.
  16. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Get that fretless!

No really. Get up and leave the house and come back with it!

Please update this thread

Trouztrouz and AngelsBassBall like this.
  17. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I had a lined fretless and never looked at the lines but had side dots. If you don't have them, I'd have that done before jumping to frets. I was sure I needed the lines on mine, and I suppose I did use them, but eventually stopped paying attention to them.

18. FYI: No one needs a P-bass. Leo got it right with the J!

I have had the same thoughts on P basses over the years and always come back to a J. Personally I find the tone of a P
    uninspiring and dull (bring on the backlash).

Now that being said, there is a reason people love P basses, I just don't get it. Only YOU can answer this question.

That Fretless J is super cool though. :)

blindrabbit and mdogs like this.
  19. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    That thing is awesome! Unlined fretlesses are where it's at, don't be intimidated. That sounds like a great trade to me - I recently scored a similar MIJ jazz bass with unlined neck, absolutely love it. I'd do it :)

AngelsBassBall and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Instead of holding on to a bass you never bonded with, and likely won't, trade it for a different one that has a familiar, comfortable playability, a totally different sound, and will challenge you to further develop your ear and playing skill.

anotherhomeysan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022