1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you quit a band if everyone but you smoked?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, Sep 13, 2010.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm not talking marijuana or anything like that, but just cigarettes. If you didn't smoke and you were in a band full of smokers (who occasionally take a break during practice to go smoke) what would you do?

2. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    nope

3. chrisbass0013

chrisbass0013

Apr 16, 2010
    honestly it wouldn't bug me so nothing its their choice and doesn't impact me in anyway

4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I don't understand. Do you have a problem with it? You didn't really clarify that. Are we talking cigarette break after every song, or like every 45 min? Everyone but me smoked in my last band and I had no problem taking a 5 minute break once in awhile.

5. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Thats exactly the situation im in right now, doesn't bother me since its the story of my life, Im pretty much the only person in my immediate family that doesn't smoke so im used to it. Even if that wasn't the case thats a really small non issue.

6. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Okay, I'll add some more detail.

I'm only 16. The other guys are 17, 16, and 15 (maybe 14), so right off the bat the age issue comes up. Personally, I don't care what anyone else does, but taking 20 minute smoke breaks after every few songs bothers me a little. Plus, since they're my primary source of travel to and from practice and gigs, I'm with them in the car, so it's not like I can get away from it.

Am I being petty? I don't wanna be "that guy" but I don't wanna sit around while they're out smoking or have to sit around in it in the car hoping that I can get the smell off me by the time I get home so my parents won't ask questions.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There were some times in the past when I found it pretty difficult to get through a gig at a bar or restaurant because of the smoke. For instance, if I was recovering from a cold, I would have coughing fits that I couldn't overcome. The worst of the worst was at a cigar bar. That's a thing of the past thanks to smoke free workplaces in my locale.

Sitting through a rehearsal in a smoke filled basement would get old for me. If it was just outside at break during gigs, it doesn't bother me at all.

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    One thing about the smoke breaks though, is that an occasional break is cool with me (gives me a chance to browse TB on my phone and talk to my girlfriend) but sitting around while they go smoke for 30 minutes isn't exactly something I'm enthusiastic about.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yes.

10. So long as it was outside, wouldn't bother me. A 20 to 30 minute smoke break, though? That's a bit much. Sounds like they're more interested in smoking than in playing music.

11. chrisbass0013

chrisbass0013

Apr 16, 2010
    It sounds to me like you've already made your mind up about this band.

12. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    In this case, yes. Kids :rolleyes:

13. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I would only worry about the return to a very old detestable practice I had years ago -- i.e tobacco. Fortunately in my current band they only smoke the crooked ones which is no temptation for me at all. Gimme a good beer any day over that catnip for humans.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Wait a second. First it was "occasionally taking a break during practice to go smoke". Then it was "20 minute smoke breaks after every few songs". Then by post#8, the breaks have extended to 30 minutes long.

Which is it? At this rate, they'll be taking 10 minute rehearsal breaks every couple of cigarettes!

EDIT: BTW, I'm the only smoker in my band...I don't take cigarette breaks during rehearsal. When in Rome...

15. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    At your age I have a very simple solution for you. Tell them that you got in trouble with your parents last time for coming home smelling like cigarettes and if it happens again they won't let you come back. That will force them to either not smoke around you in the car and they will have to decide if they really want to smoke more than they want a bass player. Also keep in mind how you will feel if you don't play with them any more, will you miss it? can you find another band? I'm a smoker myself, but I do understand how you feel.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Probably

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, without a second thought. I hate cigarette smoke and people who smoke tend to smell like ash trays IMO. NO offense intended.

18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Extended smoke breaks are overboard, IMHO.

'They' should be able to load up on nicotine before a gig/rehearsal, or after it's over-while taking normal breaks during the show.
    (Been there, done that-out of respect for the situation/other people).

19. Zelphien

Zelphien

Jul 13, 2009
    USA
    It shouldn't really be a big deal. Alot of musicians smoke. I realized that when I went to clinics, shows, and even plays were they had a live orchestra playing and during intermission you seen the band smoking outside.

I smoke, but I do NOT smoke during band practice. My band-mate doesn't like smoking, we practice at his house, so I give him the respect to not smoke at his house.

But if thats not the case and they are allowed to smoke where they are. It shouldn't be a problem. Maybe every 30mins to an hour they could take a break, depending on how long you guys practice. But if they take more than 15mins to smoke a cigarette, maybe its time for you to find some more dedicated musicians because It seems to me thats all they care about. The smoking scene which doesn't appeal to anyone at all. Would you want a person taking a smoke break while they perform surgery? Nope. I take band practices seriously.

20. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    I dont care about the smell long as its not on my stuff, I dont let my brother, mother or father smoke in my car for instance, and my bandmates maybe have one or two 5 min smoke breaks a practice, hell those are just normal breaks really, since we practice in a place we can smoke while we play, all about respect, 20 minutes is just too long, tell them if they dont like it find another bassist.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021