1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you rather? 2 Basses/2 Amp rigs OR 3 Basses/1 Amp Rig??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Apr 22, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Indulge me in a game of would you rather....I am putting the final tweaks on my setup. In general, what is more practical? 2 Basses/2Amp rigs OR 3 Basses/1 Amp Rig??

My story--I dont gig more than 15 times a year due to family, etc. I am doing a fair amount of recording lately as well. I have a MIA P and a MIJ Jag bass. I also have a Markbass F1, GK700RBII and a GK NEO115 cab right now. Trying to decide if I should buy one more cab and have two versatile rigs or sell one of the heads to get another bass and only have one rig. No backup, hmmmm.

I also have a GK Backline 110 for practice and some pedals (VT Bass--PBDDI, etc)

Feedback appreciate on my particular situation or just opinions on which setup makes the most sense in general. :help:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Given that you aren't gigging all the much and providing that your rig is great for recording and live I would opt for the extra bass...but that's me lol

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    3 basses and a rig.

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Even if you only gig once a year, a back up amp is a good idea. Since you already have two amps and two basses, your choice may be easy. I would buy another cabinet. Maybe a 2-10 to compliment your 1-15. This would not only give you a larger set up for a high volume, or an outdoor gig, but would also give you two complete amp set ups.

After that....I would buy another bass!!

5. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    BACK-UPS.... 2/2... Murphy lives in my back pocket!!

6. The extra cabinet would add more utility and options than another bass so I'd go for that first, then get another bass (or two. Or three.)

7. Although you only gig 15 times ayear How often do you play at a friends or studio, vs home etc.
    I currently run two amps/cabs and three basses although I only take one to the garage or studio to play with friends (unfortunately, we don't gig) I keep the big rig at my buddys and use the smaller rig in my home.
    I guess if I were you and had money burnin a hole in my pocket I would go with a new axe.
    Me personally I am thinking of getting an extra cab So I only need to transport the relatively light and small Amp. Then if I get invited to play with another band I have my amp at home.
    But now I have probably completely lost you.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Keep the P-bass. Keep the GK700RBII and GK NEO115 cab for gigs. I'd keep the GK Backline 110 for practice, too. Actually I use a 1x10 as my only amp. I have PA support for bigger gigs.

Sell the Jag and Markbass and get a nice DI for recording.

9. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Man tough choices. GAS says another Bass. Murphy says have 2 rigs. Is this a left VS Right brain thing?

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Flip a coin. I enjoy having choices on both, your situation is all yours.

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    3 basses one rig. but that rig should include another cab for flexibility, and a backup head...mwahahaha

12. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Wouldnt it be great if I could just buy another bass? The one amp that has always kind of peaked my curiosity that I have never owned is the Mesa Walkabout. Seems like it would be a good portable studio and live rig.

13. I say keep all that you have as situations change, save up and add the cab you'll be happier about it later.....

14. +1

15. 2/2 would be the safest. Maybe not the most interesting, but the safest, nonetheless.

16. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL

+1

17. I vote for 3 basses and 1 rig. But that's just me.
    Good luck! :D

18. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I would go with 2/2. It seems like you should have a backup.(mabey I should get a backup.)

19. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I would love to grab a Mesa Walkabout to use at home rather than the GK Backline. :) Other than that, amps just are more boring to buy than basses. Thanks for all your replies, they are helpful. Looks like the opinions are pretty split.

20. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    3 basses 1 modular rig. Rig with two or three cabs at least one of which could do stand-alone for small venues.