Would you rather be deaf or blind?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Deaf

2. Blind

1. Most people would choose deaf in an instant, but I'm curious as to what musicians would think.
  2. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Blind, without a second thought.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT

Tough call though. I love all forms of art and work as a professional graphic artist. But music moves me more than any other medium...I couldn't imagine my life with out.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's a toughy... I would say deaf, but because I'm a musician, blind would be a better option. But because I already have a disability and need to really be able to see where I'm going, deaf seems like the better option.
  5. well...........................DERR!

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Blind, because then I could look like this all the time. [​IMG]
  7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What? Did somebody say something?
  8. Deaf.

I love music but It would be too strange to not see something or someone.
  9. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    As a musician I would say blind, but when it comes to living the way I would like to everyday, deaf seems the better option.
  10. I'd still be able to play my bass if I was blind, so I'd have to say I'd rather be blind. If I couldn't hear music.....well, I wouldn't be very happy.
  11. I would say deaf because if I had never listened to music I wouldn't know what I was missing. On the other hand being blind doesn't let you do almost anything
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

it makes you a better musician :p
  13. R.Lee

Nov 12, 2005
    Way too close to both of them. Lost 75% hearing in one ear 45 in the other 20/500 with out the glasses.
  14. deaf, I suppose. The lack of music would suck, but it would be less of an inconvenience in almost every way.

On the other hand my eyesight is so bad that it might be less of a loss...
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've thought about this one for a while...

It'd have to be deaf. It'd be a travesty to not be able to admire the curves of a beautiful woman, but it'd be pretty damn nice to NOT have to hear her bitch! :p

16. +1
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'll remember that ;)

Being legally blind, and having worked with blind and mostly blind teachers and students from second-grade up, I would easily choose being deaf. You can make up for a lot of communication loss with sign language and simply writing things out. There's far less you can do about being blind, and far more difficulties it causes you. Have any of you actually seen a blind person sign their signature? It's a difficult thing. Most use a small rectangular template and have to very slowly feel it out..it often takes a minute or two. That's just one of many things we take for granted. Missing the music would be bad, but that's nothing compared to never seeing a sunset again.
  18. Deaf, by a long shot.