Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you rather be...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by purple_haze, Apr 19, 2002.

1. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    a) An extraordinarily talented and acclaimed bassist in an otherwise forgettable band

OR

b) A technically proficient, but uninspiring bass player in a band producing catchy, well-written, tight music?

And why?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if i was making mucho $$ with option b), i could afford to do option a) on my own time

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rich. Just plain ol' filthy rich!:D

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That sounds like a game plan to me, RAM!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd like to be <i>An extraordinarily talented and acclaimed bassist</i> that knew when to be <i>technically proficient bass player in a band producing catchy, well-written, tight music.</i>

When I'm home playing my bass, I try to get down as much speed, play as technichal as possible. Try to play these insane riffs, crazy solo's & all that bass flash that I can. BUT, when I'm in my band, I try to play ONLY what is needed for the song.

So yeah, I wanna be filthy rich, too. ;):p

6. Well, I am "A"
    But, I pretend to be "B"

Just for the groupies. :p

Mike J.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Although I'm aspiring to be as technically proficant as I can...everyone that ever comments on my playing and performance tell me that I'm destined to be a rock-star.
    but I would settle with option B as long as I was able to get a good living from it....I don't want to be no starving late night heroin junkie jazzer.

8. So basically

A poor genius
    Or
    Rich

I suppose being considered extraordinary in my field would have its merits, but being rich could be fun too.
    Since I am neither I'll just keep practicing and let you know how it works out.

9. Definitely option B. So what if you're the best bassist in the world. If you play simple lines that work and are tight with the rest of the band, then it's great. The point is to make music that sounds good. You describe a tight group with rythm and catchy, but simple lines.

It's all how it fits together.

10. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    well i dunno, a mixture of a little from column A, and a little from column B, perhaps? :D i get a lot of freedom in my main band, and i'd even go so far as to say that most of the bass parts are more demanding than the lead guitar lines (tapping runs, bit of thumb-action every now and again) - all in the context of what is essentially very accessible, catchy, Ben Harper-esque music. do i have it made, you ask? well, let's hope so :) hope i don't get kicked out for wanking myself too hard anytime soon, though :eek:

11. I would choo choo choose band with good tight music so I would be having fun and not too many worries in life. I don't care if I am the best as long as I am happy.

peace,

Mikey

12. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    OK good answers guys.

For me, I would probably choose (b) as long as I was making music that I really enjoyed. There are lots of bands whose music I enjoy but whose bass players I rarely give a second thought, I would rather be in that situation than someone who had awesome chops and wankery but just was nay fun to listen to.

What I'm trying to say is, I like making music, not widdling.

* The exception is, of course, when I'm trying a bass in a store. :D

13. Whichever is the most fun.
    I have been playing for 31 years and a lot of the bands have been lots of work with little or no glory.
    I have a motto now: ...when it quits being fun, I quit!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about :

c) An acclaimed solo artist who runs their own bands and is "in demand" as a sideman on many high profile projects.

e.g. John Patitucci, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool etc etc.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    b) would work for me - show me the money!!!:D :D

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I would choose option b, but only if I like the band..

17. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    "B"

It's about the whole band for me. It's more enjoyable when others get into your music, rather that saying, "Great bass player, but the band's boring".