Would you rather 'make it big' as a band or as a bassist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 9, 2002.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    sorry if its already been done.

so, which would you rather have, fame with your band or as a solo bassist?

i think id probably go with the band.
  2. yeah definitely band
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If I was to make it big, I'd very much prefer doing so while playing MY music. Doesn't matter if that means being in a band or being a solo artist. I'd do fine without fame as such (every Joe Schmoe recognizing me in the street, having paparazzi's on my ass 24/7), but to be recognized enough to be able to make a decent living on writing and playing my own material, and by that earning other bassists' respect... that would be very nice.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    As a band, definitely. But as a hobby musician in two bands I think I already get most of the good parts of playing and performing, "making it" seems to have quite a few draw-backs. I don't really want any of that public pressure and relentless gigging, that would make music less fun for me.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    band! i will never have the talent to be a solo bassist...
  6. To be honest, if you're good enough, making it as a band often leads to you being able to get involved with stuff as a solo artist. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Some of the best solo work that I've heard has been recorded by band members as opposed to straight solo artists. Often the solo artist will have superior technique, but the band member will have the songwriting and arranging skills and have the weight to pick the exact musicians he/she wants for a particular project.
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    When I aspired to make a career of music, I thought that success in a band was the way to go. How wrong I was. Now, I realize that I'd have been happy with playing wherever and whenever I could as a gun for hire. You build your career for yourself; if a band is involved, all the better. I'd point to Tony Levin as the guy who figured out the best of both worlds. If you're banking on your band to make your fame and fortune, you'll be repeating these same words 20 years from now, just as I am.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I'll take either.. I have thought doing some solo stuff would be fun.. but I really like playing with a live band more than I like doing anything else
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    To be honest, neither. While both would be fun, if I ever got "big" or recognized,I would want to do it as a studio artist. Wether that be with my own studio band or as a hired gun to play with other people. If I worked at it, I could get good money, a good steady job, and I'd be playing bass. But like people have already said, I can stay mainly out of the public's eye. If I wanted to , I could release a solo CD or with my band, but nothing like a big time CD or band or anything. Just making my music for the fun of it.
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    As a bassist. The variety of playing with different people, different styles is one of the best things about freelancing.

That and not having to load the PA.
  11. As a band....because my bandmates are really good friends of mine..and we would have really much fun together.

But I think it's never gonna happen.
  12. as a player I have one of a few creeds I live by. one is "I want to go to the superbowl, not the probowl"
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a band ---- food is an essential part of my diet and heat is nice to have in winter.
  14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    As a bassist - I would rather be a great bassist. The whole fame thing isn't all that important to me. Being able to understand and play different types of music is what I find interesting about playing bass.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Band life seems like a pain in the ass to me. I want to be at home with my loving wife at night not on some tour bus (or a Holiday Inn) with a bunch of roadies. Plus you never make any real money unless you become huge.

I'd want to make it as a studio bassist and sometime producer who does occasional sideman tour work.

The fact that I have not been blessed with much in the way of songwriting talent is a major factor in my descision. My musical talent lies in collaboration, coming up with a good idea here or there, and writing nice basslines that drive songs.

I have a good friend who is very well placed in the business in the technical recording area, and I see that he doesn't have to give up his life to have his rewarding career in music. I like that.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Either, really. If it was through a band though, I would want it to be on my laurels, not on the shoulders of others.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    At best, most bands are a flash in the pan and are horribly abused by record companies. Very few go on to enjoy continued success and longevity.

Better to succeed as a well-regarded studio player with lots of opportunities. It's a more secure long term goal.

Don't put your eggs in one basket.
  18. Which one invloves the most money and whores? That's where I'll be! I'm serious.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What CS says is the crux of the question - Would it be financially disastrous if you couldn't play in band tomorrow???

For me it would be. For CS, it's no big deal. Not a value judgement at all - just a fact of life.

I was making a helluva lot more money in the corporate world but I couldn't put up with the insanity any longer.