Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you rather...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Own tons of delicious instruments, playing infrequently

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Play your cheapie and pack the floor with hot mamas

49 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. ....Own a collection of dozens of the most beautiful, high-end instruments and electronics to show your friends, playing occasionally, or

....Pick up your cheapie every weekend, lay down the irresistable groove, and pack the dancefloor with hot chicks shakin their stuff while they give you the look of lust?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Rather play shows. But if You're a reasonably productive bloke, and somwhat image concious, the style thing clicks in eventually, but with unequal results.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If I could play shows with a cheapy, I would rather do that then have a collection of expensive axes, regardless of the "chickies".

4. Though we all really want some neat piece of gear at some point, most of us are here because we like playing. Also, if you've got the talent and the opportunity to play out and play well, you can always buy a better instrument later- it's usually easier to save up for a slightly better bass or amp (perhaps with used gear). Getting to be a better player is and get the opportunity for shows takes a lot more time.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I personally think that throwing in the hot chicks clause loaded the poll!!!

Got me anyway

Chas

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah! As Robin Williams once said, "God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to operate one at a time."

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    What IS the point in this poll?!!

I'd love to own loads of high-end basses, but there wouldnt be much point unless I played them all the time would there?

...and I'd soon get pissed off with gigging some old plank each week, regardless of the getting loads of crumpet.

That's such a stupid question, IMO of course :)

...and why are those two the options? - I'd rather own a nice high end bass that I play every day, gig a few times a month have a nice steady relationship with a hot chick :)

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, doesn't make sense, if you could draw a crowd with your cheapie bass you'd very soon afford those nice instruments anyway. So I'd go for the "pack 'm in" to start with, thank you very much. :cool:

9. The point is....

...to simply see what you'd say.

Thanx, Howie!

:D

10. To me, the only reason to have a band in a bar or small club is to get the ladies out on the dance floor. When the girls are dancing, no problem in the world matters for that little while. :)

Mike J.

Women: The reason we're all here. ;)

11. I'll just take the chicks......

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd rather delete this thread & pretend it never existed.

But that's just me. :)

13. Mind Police! Power to the people! :eek: :D

I shall approach this scientifically, and utilize the theory that a good bassist can create an amazing tone with just their technique and some fiddling. Therefore, I would aspire to become skilled at the bass first, and then wow the honies with my skill. Hey! Paul McCartney was happy playing a $300 (or equivalent) bass for most of his career with the Beatles. So I'd have to go with the latter. I could have my cake AND eat it to!

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm just praying that the second choice will lead to me being able to afford more of the 1st choice--or is it vice versa?? I'm confused...;)

15. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    ROFLMAO Oh, and sobie, check out tx's avatar.... you like huh...:D

16. oooooooohhh naked chicks! hope the mods don't follow that link! ;)

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i picked the first one. i've never needed to use my playing to get "hot mamas" or the "look of lust".

besides, all those trying-desperately-to-get-chicks-with-my-playing players tend to get overlooked when i swing my big ole' expensive conklin out anyway. they are indicative of my substantially enhanced buying power - sort of like comparing taking a girl out in a vw bug and in a lexus. :D

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think it's a pretty interesting poll - take away the hyperbole (which makes it fun) and you see an illustration of the continuum between the gear fetishists who polish their precious babies and seldom leave the house with them on the one hand, and on the other, guys who are motivated just 'by chicks' and are more focused on image than the music.

I know I voted for the 'chickie' option because I believe making great music and sharing that with others beats an expensive old piece of wood anyday. And it is nice to be appreciated by hot chicks even if you don't have any intention on capitalizing on their attention :)