would you recommend a Essex (SX) FP62 or FJ62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonnos, Jan 31, 2005.

1. over a squier affinity pbass or a esp ltd b50 p/j bass?

store in melb in aus is selling the fp62 for 299AUD and the fj62 for 319AUD (+25 shipping)..
    and from another store just here in sydney the affinity pbass is for 399 and the esp ltd b50 for 398AUD (free shipping)..

does any1 know the quality and sound these essex basses fp62/fj62 give? are they worth it?
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    IMHO, I'd take an SX over a Squier or an ESP any day of the week..... :cool:
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AN actual store in australia that stocks Sx? cool.
  4. coz this store only sells fp and fj models and most comments i see around here is about the spb or sjb or higher models.. i just wanna get some feedback before i buy this.. ill most likely end up getting it if not then its a esp ltd b50.. but im also taking in account depending how good i get and how dedicated i play.. ill most likely upgrade to a new bass in a yr or couple of years time.. and lol i know im cheap but hey ill be saving money right?
  5. Hi Jonnos,

I can recommend the SX basses - I have a frettless Jazz from Rondo Music.

Melmusic stock a few SX basses here, and the prices seem OK.

It cost me $290 to get my fretless Jazz here from Rondo, so $299-319 seems OK.

I havent' played the particular bass you're talking about, but the SX stuff represents pretty good value all round IME, and overall, for the price I'm happy with my SX Bass.

6. I've seen the FJ62's for $299 on Ebay sold by Melmusic recently.

I've been tempted to get one, but the store is only about 30 mins away from where I live in Melbourne, so I will probably get down there are check them out at some stage.
  7. ah kewl well let me know when u go down and check it out.. im planning on buying one soon.. ill most likely just end up getting the fp62 3tone sunburst or the metallic red..
  8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I can see you're agonising over this; I can promise you that if you dig bass, this will just be the first purchase of many. No doubt you would have seen some of the very tasty basses around here, right? :) So, no matter what you choose, it's just the first step along the road. My first bass, 17 years ago, was a Schecter and cost AUS$550 (and that was back then!). I got lucky - I didn't know a thing about basses, and still managed to come home with one that played great, sounded great, and that enabled me to learn without the hassles of naff playability. You would have learned from what people have suggested, and just general reading, what is important in a bass - and if *any* of these feels right, is well made and plays good, go for it!

If it was me, I'd choose the fender jazz copy - you can't go past the looks and the tone flexibility, IMHO.

9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I guess I got lucky - my QMD was perfect, came perfectly set up (intonation was a hair off) only thing is the usual from jazz pickups - slight hum.

I say go with the SX; personally I think they're better than the Squiers and ESP even if you may have to do some slight work yourself.
  10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    They sell them in sweden too.
  11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    FWIW, recently the SX stuff has been coming through with a little more attention being given to their previous fret-dressing problems ..... they did have issues with this in the past. Generally, people who get the SX basses are satisfied.