Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would you recommend buying a used bass off of Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Since I don't know how to make a poll, just answer yes or no.

2. Harry

Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    No.
    For an amp or piece of gear that is made consistantly, sure - but a bass? No way. You gotta PLAY before you buy. The only exception I can live with is if you order a custom instrument from a reputable maker - but since most basses on Ebay are mass-produced, you'll not know until it's too late - so I say NO.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, but protect yourself.

I've had good luck on eBay and the web in general, both buying and selling.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    be sure to check the guys user profile, and if possible email his previous buyers to see how he does buisness (if youre really serious bout it)

5. the only problem I have is buyers remorse, but I have yet to be disappointed

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've bought 4 - 3 were keepers, one got sent back. Fortunately it was from a dealer so he had an approval policy and I was "only" out shipping.

Make sure you have an approval period if possible. However buying, checking it out and returning it can add up (I returned my Carvin and an ebayed bass during my search for the perfect bass and the shipping costs can start cutting into your overall budget).

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I've had good luck as well, but you need to be careful. If you know what you want, search both current and completed auctions to get an idea of the range of prices for that particular bass. Check the seller's feedback rating, and be wary of sellers with little or no feedback. Ask any and all questions you can think of before you buy. Ask for pictures (if they're not already posted), especially if the seller says the bass is in less-than-mint condition. Most importantly, figure out in advance what you want to pay, and back off if the auction price exceeds your pre-set limit. Don't get caught up in the gotta-have-it-right-now mentality, because that's how you get screwed on ebay. If you don't get that one, another will be along shortly.

8. I've bought several instruments and an amp on ebay with no problems. However, I knew the products inside and out, what to ask, and was very clear about what to expect. Use e-mails and photos and you simply cannot have enough communication: better too much than too little.

Be aware that it is easy to make an AA piece of maple look AAAAA with lighting and basic picture modification techniques. Also, many instruments have their own tone so you to be a bit open-minded: 3 Fender Jazz basses will each sound a little different. Not a lot but...you get the point.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heck yes i would - i've gotten 2 excellent, custom conklins off of ebay. ebay rules. just be careful and use your head.

you know, caveat emptor.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have bought several basses off of Ebay. I am pleased with all of them. I got some good deals, but... do your homework.

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, provided you make detailed inquiries to fill in any blanks. Never assume anything, and don't accept vague or half-answers. And even consider making a phone call to get a vibe from the seller. Make sure the parade of positive feedback is not only them as a buyer.

I've had good results from eBay and Yahoo, both in auctions and post-auction (failed) buys. In two cases, however, where I felt the seller was not entirely accurate, made a calm and dispassionate factual appeal in the name of fairness and got some bucks back due to minor misrepresentations.

Well, one got a little ugly but the guy came through.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Make my Vote a NO, I think you should play a bass before you buy it, I want to know what it feels like, plays like, sounds like, etc, before I buy it. If it was an amp or processor, then Id more than likely chance it. But not a bass.

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Like everyone else has said - do some research. Spend some time emailing or calling the seller (if that's possible). Get a feel for who you are dealing with. While I really prefer to hold and play the bass I'm considering purchasing, I've had 2 really good deals online. One (my main bass - G&L L-1000) was the result of an Ebay auction that didn't meet reserve. I contacted the seller and we negotiated a deal. The other was my Hamer Cruise 2T, which I got off Ebay directly. This is the kind of transaction you approach with caution - don't let the shine of the instrument get in the way of objectivity. If you smell a rat, it's probably a rat.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I always make a phone call. If you don't feel very knowledgable about what you're buying, you probably shouldn't be buying it on eBay. Check completed auctions, see what similar basses (or other gear) have sold for, ask around (like here) to find out what to look for and to determine possible value.

If you live off the beaten path (from a music store point of view) eBay can be an excellent place to find items you simply can't find locally.

You could get a nice Ibanez locally or a nice used high end bass for the same price. The choice is yours.

15. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    yes but,

Do your homework, ask questions, the call thing seems like a good idea, ask about the sellers return policy if it's a "sold as is one" then it's more of a gamble. If get something you don't like and can't return it, you can always re-list it on ebay again, or trade it in somewhere for something else.

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Because I live in the Middle East, all my gear has been purchased over the net, mostly through eBay. This includes 7 bass guitars, 6 electric, 3 accoustic, plus 2 rigs and assorted accessories. No problems at all, but as everyone has said, do your research.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    yes

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes.

Great thread for the Miscellaneous forum!;)

Will C.:cool:

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Given plenty of CYA, definitely.

CYA = cover your a$$

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses