1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you refinish this bass, or just leave it as is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Leave it as is.

108 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. Relocate controls, plug holes, and clearcoat fill.

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Refinish body and headstock.

32 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have this bass:

100_1238.

This is what it looked like stock:

100_0730.

I installed the neck mudbucker and the extra volume/switch combo next to the rear pickup for the mudbucker. I'm regretting not putting the switch between two of the stock switches and using a push/pull pot to activate the mudbucker, and I've been toying with refinishing it. I was going to use maple plugs to close the extra holes. Now I'm debating about doing it because it would be a lot of work.

What would you do? Leave it as is? Remove the volume knob, move the switch, plug the holes and cover with super glue? Full refin?

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Leave it.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Refinish it.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Leave it.

5. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I'd re-finish it, as the wood itself does not have eye popping grain to me. If it were mine, I'd re-finish the body with a belair green finish and add a vintage white or pearloid pickguard.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Refinish it.

7. Leave it. Buy a maple neck with maple board!

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think it's kind of a mess, but the body looks good and original finish looks pretty good. There are too many holes and pickups in it now to worry about taking it back to original or refinishing it. It won't look any better unless you pull out all the extra switches and the extra pickup, strip it, then fill the holes (including the pickup rout) and refinish in a solid color. That's too much work. Play it the way it is.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    There's actually only one extra knob and switch. It has three knobs and three switches stock. I'm also not interested in trying to return it to it's stock appearance - just move the extra switch and eliminate the extra volume knob.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you decide to refinish it, I'd probably go with a solid or darker color. That will better cover up the plugs that you'd put in it to eliminate the holes.

I would refinish, but I'd also probably pull the mudbucker and put a 3rd MFD in there.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I had thought about a third MFD, but it's not the same dimensions. I guess I could use some wood filler and make the hole correct, though. I was definitely thinking of a solid, like a metallic burgundy.

12. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    I like it and would probably leave it and play the crap out of it. I think it's too pristine and would look better with a little wear and tear. I mean, with those three pickups it just looks like it's meant to be gigged - I suppose if I were to refinish I'd go with dark wallnut stain and satin finish and absolutely no pickguard.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

What about the Dimarzio Model One at the neck position? I don't believe it's original.

For that matter, what the dickens kind of bass is it?? Looks like some kind of Ibby or Musicman clone, but it's not familiar to me.

14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the only thing i would do would add pearl block inlay stickers. other than that, i like the slightly frankenstein-ish vibe.

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    it's a g&l tribute L-2000.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Huh? It's a G&L..........

I'd leave it the way it is. Seems silly to refinish it just to to move a switch.

17. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Another vote for a third MFD... & refin the crap out of it...

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Correct, it's a G&L L2000 Tribute bass. This is what it looked like stock:

100_0730.

I added the new pickup, the extra switch, and the new knob. I regret putting the switch where it's at instead of between two of the existing switches, and installing the volume knob instead of just using a push/pull on/off knob in place of the treble pot.

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth moving the switch and eliminating the knob, plugging the empty switch and pot holes, and refinishing the body and headstock or not.

I installed the Dimarzio Will Power pickup after deciding to put an EB-0 pickup in there. The EB-0 pickup I used was incorrectly made and hummed, so I replaced it with the WP. I like the sounds I get out of this pup soloed and in combination with the MFD's, so I don't regret the extra pickup. I could just paint the body and headstock black for a stealth mode bass, but I'd rather have some color.

19. Mr Thunderbird

Mr Thunderbird

Dec 30, 2011
    Ottawa
    Leave it

20. Leave it, crazy.