1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you replace a Ric with a vintage Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by megadan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I have an offer of $2000 (Canadian) for my 4003, which I love dearly - all though it's ergonomics are not helpful to my tendontis.

I'm not sure what I would replace it with, though... I have other basses but I would want something special. The only thing I can think of that I want is a 70's Fender Jazz with a block neck.

Would you?

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Sell the Rick, buy a Classic 70's Fender Jazz, and pocket $1200. :cool:

3. worked for geddy :ninja:

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    In fact, buy a Geddy!

5. djt820

djt820

Dec 30, 2008
    I lol'd:D

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    If you know where I can get a 70's Fender Jazz for $800 I would like to know so I can get one too!!!

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Personally, if I had a Ric, I don't think I could let go of it.

Would your economic situation allow you to keep the Ric and get a moderately priced Fender?

However, I have an American Jazz and Precision and I know I couldn't get rid of them unless the wife and kids were hungry. I said that to say I love the Fender line and couldn't think of anything else that would fit my style of playing and sound.

Tough decision, good luck.

8. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    guitar center has them I believe.....I know corner music here in Nashville has s few in stock.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Uhhh, he's talking about the reissue Classic 70's Jazz. those are $800

10. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    If the thing is hurting you get rid of it.

This is coming from somebody less than 2 weeks out from carpal tunnel surgery.

I've come to the conclusion that I simply can't get along with some guitar and bass necks, between carpal tunnel, arthritis, and tendonitis. However, they tell me that carpal tunnel will never be a worry after the surgery :bassist:

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    If Carpal Tunnel is a problem, maybe a short scale vintage Mustang, or a custom CB or Stambaugh would be your best bet.

12. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    yep.

...best answer. :)

13. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Funny, I thought the same thing when I read the thread title.

14. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I'm 36 and I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome at 13 when I was REALLY into shred guitar. I've played through the pain and numbness for 23 years.

The only fix would be to quit my job as a network admin... I type all day. Then I'd have to quit playing guitar and bass. Then, I'd have to sleep with wrist braces because I curl my wrists tightly in my sleep.

I'm just gonna get the surgery and be done with it. The orthopedist assures me that CTS will be gone and never come back after the surgery.

The tendonitis and arthritis I can manage with cortisone, massage, etc. at least for now. When I'm 60, who knows?

15. Yeah I would.
    Sad to lose the Ric but if it hurts- let it go.

... but would another bass be a whole lot better? I'm thinking the Mustang idea is a good one.

16. I would .. every rick I've owned sucked way beyond the reputation (except 6/12 guitars).

If you have tendonitis,.. pocket a quick $1800 and pick up a dyna bass.

17. Shortscale?

18. ...in a heartbeat! ;)

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Go pencil neck with a higher-end Ibanez SR. Otherwise: Geddy! Geddy! Geddy!

20. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    +1 big time