Would you replace the factory bride on your Fender Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpalir, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Ok guys...

If you would replace the factory Bridge on you Fender Jazz Bass...

What new bridge would you replace it with and why?

2. It's unreasonable for fender to expect us to just be happy with the factory bride they chose for us! I like to get to know a woman first! In all honesty the stock fender bridge is good enough. When people do mod fenders, they usually put badass II bridges on, they're good, but a little overpriced. Personally, i think a gotoh 201 is just as good, at half the price.

3. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    I'd rather have a factory groom. Do I need to go Custom Shop for that? :D:bag:

I just scored an MIA 75 Jazz Re-issue and bought a Badass II for the ride...we'll see how it works out. This will be the first time I've replaced a bridge on a bass.

4. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    What is the BA Model for a 5 string the BA II shows for 4 only...

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Do I qualify Shelly????;)

The FIRST thing I do when ever I acquire a "Jazz" bass is ditch that little piece of bent metal and toss a BadAssII on it.

For those who can't hear/say there isn't a difference, well, they never recorded a track with the stock one, swapped it out and then recorded the same track.
    There is a difference.

Now, weather you like what it does is up to you.
    To me, it makes the bass feel more solid, more even, and I'm not sure if it tightens up the fundamental of the notes or something else, but they IMO sound tighter and more defined.

IMO/YMMV and all that stuff.......

6. Is this like a mail order bride? Would you want to replace her before you even got her?

7. No, the '08' model's bridge works perfectly. Why do I need to change it?:rolleyes:

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I detest high-mass bridges, don't care for the new '08 model on the MIAs and would point out that the bridges on the pricey vintage instruments are about on par with the thin MIM bridge.

So, in a word, "no."

9. MRuss

MRuss

Jan 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    depends on the model, the current MIA bridges are basically bad asses, so i probably wouldn't change those. If it has a standard bridge, i'd change it. There really is a difference. I'd even put one on a vintage bass, i'd just keep the factory bridge if i wanted to sell it. The only reason you dont see them on ebay pre CBS masturbation basses is because it would detract from the price.

10. Hankamer126

Hankamer126

Aug 1, 2008
    Texas
    note to self: try not to typo on thread topics.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I think its the BadAss V.

http://www.leoquan.com/html/bass5details.html

I like the stock bridges on Fenders. The cheap bridge is part of the tone IMO. I don't mind high mass bridges, but I tend to steer clear of everything except the original Badass, the Gotoh 201, or the new Fender HMV bridge.

If I were to replace the bridge on my Fender I'd probably get either a Naimish bridge or a hipshot replacement.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's not mere opinion; it's fairly obvious physics.

13. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I prefer the stock bridges.

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Stock bridges because I can never set my action low enough with high mass bridges.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I leave the stock bridges on them....

16. Replaced the stock "bent metal" bridge on my old MIM with a Gotoh 201 - not a super high-mass like a BAII or a Hipshot A, but just enough extra mass to improve the tone noticeably. If I were to get a MIA with one of the newer High-Mass, I wouldn't bother.

17. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mass schmass - I just hate how the saddles skate all over the MIM Standard bridge plate.

c-

18. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have 3 Jazz basses with Bass Ass II bridges. No problems with intonation or the action being low enough..

G

19. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i've had a bunch of fenders with standard threaded bridges, 70s bridges, badass IIs, etc... I like the badass but i do think you loose some of the rawness and fatness of the standard tone. it tightens things up though and makes things more even as mikebass said. I guess it depends on the sound and vibe you're going for. I've also tried the hipshot vintage bridge and i think it's great. still a bent plate but the saddles can't wander side to side and it has quick release if you're into that

20. I love these little bridges. Not high mass, but major improvement over stock Fender. Grooves keep the saddles from sliding, they look good, and fit with no modification. I have 3 squier 4 strings and 2 five strings and have these on every one of em.

Super inexpensive and worth way more than you will pay for it

http://www.basspartsdepot.com/4_String-4_String_Deluxe_Bass_Bridge.html

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021