would you sand a Vintage p-bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Not everyone here might agree that a p-bass has a chunky neck, but I think so! I think I could remedy that problem with some sand paper, the only problem is... is this a stupid thought or what? It's a vintage 71 p-bass, and I love the tone, but dislike the chunk, the chunk is livable, but not prefered. Oh help me wise TB'rs!!! Do I dare sand my neck down? :meh: I just want the tone and playability in one bass, is that to much to ask!!!
  2. Maybe could a moderator move me to setup if need be! Thank you and sorry for the trouble if there's any.
  3. I wouldnt do it, but thats just my opinion.
    If you are gonna do it, get it done profesionally, you 'll be thanking youself later.

But ask yourself, is it worth the risk??
    It might turn out perfectly, but accidents DO happen, maybe something might go wrong while getting it shaved down. You said you love the bass...so maybe it's not worth the risk, you did say the neck was "livable".

Another question to ask yourself, do you want is shaved down a bit, or all the way to jazz width??

Did you find a bass with the perfect neck for you? maybe get a luthier to duplicate it.

4. Not many people realize that a P bass was available with a skinny Jazz width neck. I think this was called an Option A or something like that, anyhow that's what's on my 78 P-bass.

But in answer to your question, I wouldn't do it on a '71. This is about $1500 to $2000 worth of bass that will be worth....nothing if the mod fails. Even if it works out, the value will be significantly reduced. I agree, get a skinny neck made, then you can keep the standard neck for later. Or try to find one with a skinny neck and make a trade. You might contact Gruhn Guitars, a while back they had an early 70's with the narrow neck option. www.gruhn.com
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Honestly, I wouldn't sand down a 1971 P man, it would be like buying a Ferrari and putting a Kia engine in it, you take a lot of the real value of the instrument out. If you love the tone but don't like the neck, buy a new P and just mod the hell out of it until it sounds similar to or better than that one if it's at all possible. But there's no real point in ruining a beautiful example of classic Fender bass design. Leave it the way Leo intended it, or sell it to someone who may really like that huge neck. I know what you're saying, I've played a '71 and it is incredible, the sound is mindblowing and the neck is big. But it's partly the neck that gives it that great sound, you may hate it with the thinner neck. Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope it works out well.
  6. If I found a 71 Jazz neck, and swapped it for mine then the value probably wouldn't decrease and it would be allot more safer for the bass, eh?
  7. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I wouldn't do it either. If you love that bass, buy a jazz neck for it, but keep the original too. That way you can have the best of both. You will have a neck that you love to play on. And, you can put the original neck back on and have the pbass still in original, "unmodified" condition.
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's a good call, but make sure the neck can be swapped without messing with the body and you'll be golden. Good thinking Scutterflux.
  9. Would a typical jazz neck of vintage era (hopfully a 71') fit without any troubles, and if I found a 71 jazz neck, how would anyone know this bass was modified, appearantly there was an option for a jazz neck in 71, and I've also read that dealers in those days would swap a neck on a couple of instruments that the customer liked to make the sale! I'm not trying to plan on being a scheister, but I'm just debating the arguement of it being a modified bass, because those basses probably were never considered modified.
  10. Thought about it, and can't do it! A Jazz bass neck say's jazz bass on it.:oops:
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah no dont do it!!!!!!
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whatever you do, don't modify the neck. Buy a replacement if that's the feel, but the resale value comes largely from originality.