Would you say Tobias is a good company

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Oct 12, 2000.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I was just wondering what all you people out there think about Tobias basses. I'm thinking about getting a Toby Deluxe 5 string or Pro 6 string and was just wondering what everyone thinks of the company and their basses. I know pretty many people play them so they must be pretty good quality especially for the price range. To me Tobias seems like a pretty good company. What do you think.
  2. My knowledge on the company probably isn't even close to that of others on Tobias', but i don't think that they're bad. they seem pretty decent to me. If you're thinkin of gettin on, i say go for it, that is if the sound is what you want for what you are going to play of course.
  3. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Tobias it one of the top bass manufactors around:
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, there is no such COMPANY as Tobias. There used to be.

Michael Tobias used to make guitars and basses by hand one at a time. Then he formed Tobias Guitars, and had a few hired hands.

These first 2000 basses or so are the REAL Tobias'.

Then Michael sold the name to Gibson.

Gibson proceeded to make crappy basses at high prices(THere are a few good ones, mind you) and ruined the reputation of the name.

Then, they started marketing these dubious, though decent for the money, Tobys on musicyo.

I would definitely say that Gibson is NOT a good company. They ruined the Steinberger name too.

There has not been a company called Tobias guitars for several years.

So the answer to the question has to be NO.

Brad Johnson, Bruce Lindfield and couple of others on the board can tell the REAL Tobias story better than me.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ummm.. What about Lakland, Pedulla, Ken Smith, Modulus, Conklin, Warwick, Sadowsky, Reverend, Yamaha, Peavey, Fender, Tune, Ernie Ball, G&L, Ibanez, Spector, MTD(That's where Mr Tobias is at nowadays, those are REAL Tobias!) and 20 companies all make at least 1 or 2 bass lines that are WORLDS beyond anything currently carrying the Tobias name.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They were one of the top manufacturers. But since Gibson got their claws on the name, the products' quality has gone downhill.

The Tobys are basically Samick clones of Tobias. This doesn't mean that they are bad basses by any means. But the 6 string tobias neck thru made 12 years ago is SOOOOOO much better than the 6 nt now.

BTW, when was Tobias bought out by Gibson? I have a bet with a dude at work...
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Rojo and embellisher - there is no "Tobias" company as such anymore (MTD is closest) and what has been done since Gibson took over is hardly the actions of a good company either. The Toby basses are equivalent to Samicks or similar and they are just trading on the name to fool people into thinking they are getting something different.

I get tired of saying - "you get what you pay for" - OK you might get a second-hand bargain or stumble across something in an obscure shop, but with new basses : a cheap bass is a cheap bass!

As to when Gibson bought out Tobias - no secrets - the whole story is on Michael Tobias's website under "History" :

And it was 1990.
  8. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Thanks for all your insite and advice. I didnt really know too much about the company and I wanted some info. Thanks really helpful. I wont be buying a "Tobias." The reason I asked was because I cant play any basses before buying them so I have to buy them and if I dont like them return them. Which really sucks. So I like to have all the information before hand. The reason I cant play them is because the only guitar store around moved or really closed its store. It has a online store though. It is http://www.jsmusic.com I suggest going there they dont have to huge a selection of new basses but lots of used stuff and if you can find what your looking for you can get a great deal, and no I dont work for them or nothing because I am 14 I just really liked them. At the store their prices were almost always neogotiable. Thanks for all your help.