Would you sell a bass on Talkbass on a "play it first" deal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B String, Aug 13, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    All my buying experiences at Talkbass have been succesfull
    and completely enjoyable. Realizing that every bass is not
    perfect for everyone, would anyone selling a "nicer" bass, do
    so on some kind of a "play it for a day and see if you like it"
    bassis, if the money part could be worked out? We see so many
    great basses for sale here, but buying is such a huge gamble.
    Even the major stores offer a return policy on internet sales.
    It seems like a good idea if it could be worked out. Any opinions?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ask the seller to go through a middle man (there's a term for them but it escapes me at the moment). You send the money to the holder. When he receives it the seller sends you the bass. You try it out and if you like it the holder sends the seller the money. If you don't like it, you send the bass back and when the seller receives it the holder send the money back to you..

There are businesses that do this. It starts with an "E" I think but can't for the life of me remember.. Darned early senility!!!!

I wanna say an escrow service, but I'm not 100% sure that's what they're called..

3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  4. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Escrow is more of an insurance against receiving an item significantly different than it was described. The escrow company holds the payment until the buyer receives the product and verifies that it is what they ordered. It would be unfair to use it as a type of buyer's remorse protection.

Your best bet is to find a bass like the one that you're looking for and try to play it. People on talkbass are spread out throughout the world, and most are willing to let you visit and give their axe a try. The nice thing about boutique basses is their quality is pretty consistant.
  5. As long as you are buying the bass at a fair price, you should be able to sell it if you don't like it, without a loss.
  6. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If it was somebody I was familiar with on TB, I'd probably just send them the instrument and give them 48 hours to either return it or pay me. I'm pretty comfortable with the regulars here.

If it was someone with less of a buying/selling record, I'd be glad to give a trial period...but I'd probably do it through a middleman like Mark talks about.

Oop, baby is fussin'....
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if that was the correct term.
  8. I'm no financial genius by any means, but what about a deal where the bass gets sent and a check gets sent, but not cashed for the 24-48hr test period? If the buyer doesn't want it, he can send the bass back and the seller tears up the check. Requires some trust on both parties, but here on TB that shouldn't be that big of an issue, epsecially with people that are around all the time.
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Never. I try and be fair in all my sales and sell to the person as cheaply and fairly as I can, but I'd never send a bass or anything to someone and say "try it first". If it were someone local who I knew where they were and could see them, maybe, but not with a person I've never met.
  10. In response to the title, yes, as long as the person is INCREDIBLY LOCAL. I mean, like in the same town.
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would have a hard time selling someone a substandard bass.
    You may take the "if the're stupid enough to buy it" attitude.
    I could not in good faith sell a bass with a rotten b string to
    someone just because I knew I could con them, or because
    they have less knowledge and experience than me. There are
    a number of 5 strings in the "for sale" section here. What if I
    buy one that ends up having a rotten b? Should I just say
    "screw the next guy"? No, there has to be a better way. I
    like the escrow idea, or something like that. Any ideas??
  12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've offered a 48 hour trial period once. Unfortunately, you really can't do it every time. If you're selling a bass because you're GAS'in for another bass or piece of equipment, you can't wait 48 hours to move on the other equipment. I prefer to deal with the "as is" agreement. I always advertise the bass in it's true condition and expect the same from other TB'ers (and have never beed disappointed). As others have mentioned, if you don't like it, re-sell it. The key is to always buy at a price that you can easily re-sell at.
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd try to bridge the gap between SMASH's and fourstringdrums' stances (as different parts of me agree with both) and work out a deal with SMASH's "buyer pays shipping/insurance both ways" in addition to a clause that pays me a set amount if the deal doesn't go through. Cleaning/setup/packing and shipping take a good amount of time, and I personally think that my time would be worth something in this situation.

Granted, I can only see this happening with high-end basses, but $50-$100 for my time and effort as a percentage of what I would think would be above 2K is a pretty fair deal for the ability to "send it back" like a steak at Applebees... although you don't want to know what happens to food sent back if you don't have the right attitude doing so :eek: ;)
  14. I think you may have misunderstood me. I was in no way saying that you should try to screw the guy. I would never take the "if they're stupid enough to buy it" attitude. If I sell a bass, I make sure that they know every last imperfection about it. I would'nt be opposed to the escroll idea, but if I was the seller it would have to be at the expense of the buyer, and I would never expect a seller I was buying from to pay for a service like that. I think that I would be more likely to just offer a money back guarntee, and have them send me the money. Even at that, I would be scared that people just want to try the bass out, and they really don't intend on actully buying it.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have done a bass trade here where we both agreed to give a one week "grace period". If either one was not happy the basses would be exchanged. Accurate descriptions of the basses were a must. The person who was not happy had to pay the freight on both basses to be sent back. Since we were both happy nothing happened. btw I'm still using the bass I got in that trade as my #1 player. :bassist:
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately. I owe people favors and people owe me favors, but I don't keep count. Since this is a brotherhood (with a few sisters) or a family, I would give anyone one of the long-standing members a grace period, benefit of the doubt, and or a great return policy. With certain members, I've sent out items before being paid, just because of this brotherhood... MJ5150 comes to mind... some people's words are rock solid, and with that, I'll be the easiest person possible to work with.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Depends on who it is. Some guys, like Brad Johnson or JT (why would they want my gear anyway?! ;) :D,) no problem. Random person who registered two months ago? Not a chance.
  18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Bieng able to take people at their word is the way it's supposed to be. All we really have is integrity and our work, everything and anything else can be taken from us at any time. In my short time here at TB there are quite a few that I feel I could trust in this way, and these days, that's saying alot!!
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Me? ;)
  20. +1 on that. There are a good amount of guys on here i'd trust that way, and to have that many good guys around TB is just amazing.