Would you sell the first bass you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 12, 2002.

1. No, never or I still have it

173 vote(s)
  2. Maybe, if I could get a good price for it

26 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I'm getting a new one anyway

21 vote(s)
  4. I've already sold

179 vote(s)
  1. I've had my original bass for over a year now and it's coming up to a time where I really want to by a new bass. Though it would help me get a better bass, I refuse to sell my original bass and I don't forsee ever selling it (unless I gave up bass playing completely ::shudders::)

I was just curious what everyone else thought about this topic.
  2. I wish I still had mine, but it was stolen. :mad:
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    when your first bass was a 3/4 size p-bass copy from sears...it's hard to get sentimental over it.

now my first REAL bass (my sterling) - never.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I gave mine away.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I still had it, I wouldn't sell it.
  6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Didn't we just have a thread like this about 2 weeks ago??

Oh yeah, your poll is missing a choice: "Sell it? I destroyed it!"

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I would NEVER sell it. Even if it isnt that crash hot, i love her none-the-less and it is sentimental to me.
  8. Nope, still have it, will never sell it. I'll modify it and upgrade it, but never get rid of it.
  9. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    When i upgraded i gave mine to a player just starting out. The best thing you can do i reckon is to help someone on their way :) especially when they're new to it all

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'll keep all basses I own now or ever will own, but I had no regrets selling the first one.
  11. My first one is the only bass I have so I'd rather not sell it right now. When I get a new one I might give it to a friend of mine who's thinking about taking it up or defret it.
  12. Still have mine and I couldn't sell it... my father broke the neck, dropping it! I have fixed it but never play it anyhow.
  13. I've still got it and have no intention of selling it. I'll let it appreciate and become a classisc - then when my son inherits it (hopefully many years from now) he'll maybe have something that'll get him a good price when he sells it. Or if he takes up bass he'll have a classic instrument to make people jealous with!!!! (That is if Guild B-301s become classics!:D )
  14. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I sold it - I don't regret it - I'd never want one like it again - even if they are collectible now...
  15. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    It's long gone! Only had it 3 months, but I wish I hadn't sold it. The one that replaced it was basically what I learned to play on and although it's next to worthless, I wouldn't part with it for the world!

I didn't feel that way about the first one though it would still be nice to have it I suppose
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i still have mine in my basement. i'll pull it out about 4 times a year just to say "hi". i'll never sell it.
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I already sold it and regret it:(

1967 Gibson EB2 Hollow body and it was in mint condition!
  18. tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    my first bass is on it's way:a rickenbacker 4003 jetglo lefty.

my philosophy,unlike many,is to get what i want in the first place.i(will) have a stronge,fundemental instrument that i researched thoroughly.i am something of a minimalist where quantity is concerned.i seek the highest,production quality,gear that fits my budget.if my naive judgement was flawed i will still have a product of viable resale value.

other firsts:
    first rifle:sako classic hunter lefty.270
    with a swarovski american 3x9 scope.

my first dog:english mastiff.-one has passed,the other is one smart devil.i also have a female american bulldog.

first beer i bought:guinness-well,my brother got it for me,but i asked for it;i was 16.

my first guitar:gibson sg standard lefty.

my first amp:a mesa/boogie blue angel 1x12.

-i'm a third shift forklift driver.i see too many folks of average means treating themselves with mediocrity.i'd rather do with less,and get what i want.peace.
  19. Got rid of mine as soon as I could afford a 'real' on......it was a Marlin in red metalflake....nasty, nasty machine! Still got my 2nd bass - My Yamaha RBX - she's 12 years old now....a different colour and ahd many different pick-up combos but I still class her as my 'first' bass
  20. My first bass was a blue Sears special. I can't remember what happened to it. I do wish I still had my first "real" bass - a beautiful brand new '76 Fender Jazz with a natural finish. I sold it in '79 for one of those hot Ibanez Musician basses... :rolleyes:

I still have the Musician - it's in great condition...